has he ever been injured(arm)
consistancy for years

are there any others with almost perfect mechanics
mike mussina
tim wakefield(for knuckleballers)
nolan ryan: of course
josh beckett
carlos zambrano

Remeber, a closer is a shitload less likely to get injured than a starter. BTW, if you want to make stupid claims like this atleast look around the league. Halladay FTW. leads the league in CGs, would have way more wins with a decent team.

still
there arent any flaws in his mechanics
are there

halladay is overused because of a slumping bluejays pitching staff(besides burnett)

still i ask has rivera or mussina been injured(arm)

Rivera has gotten hurt before just 4 years ago his back went into spasms and he missed like 10 games

but no arm injuries
and that probaly wasn’t a mechanical problem

If you are going to claim that Mariano Rivera has “perfect” mechanics, then tell me in detail what he does that is “perfect”.

And I wouldn’t describe him as having no arm injuries. He had Tommy John surgery in 1992.

[quote=“kelvinp”]doesnt mariano rivera have the perfect mechanics
in perfect position to field the ball[/quote]Actually, this isn’t quite true. When he’s finished his motion, his glove is behind him. Not the best position to field the ball. There. So much for “perfect” mechanics.

kelvin, as a fellow yankee fan i realize that we can overplay our own pitchers. most yankee fans are ignorant towards the the other players in the league. what about sabbathia, 3 straight complete games ( correct me if im wrong) and he still sits in the mid 90’s through the 9th inning. as was said previously, look at halladay. and no its not just because of a slumping staff because no team would risk thier ace just because they wont win the next game. mussina doesnt have arm injuries because he throws so damn slow. i rest my case against u kelvin, but dont let being a yankee fan get to you.

when the ball gets to the plate he is standing up
and plus he is not gonna give up many hits anyway

[quote]If you are going to claim that Mariano Rivera has “perfect” mechanics, then tell me in detail what he does that is “perfect”.

And I wouldn’t describe him as having no arm injuries. He had Tommy John surgery in 1992.[/quote]

they are the next thing to perfect then
nobody has the perfect mechanics
exellent mechanics

he doesnt do anything that will hurt his arm
stays closed
elbow stays below and level with the shoulder during arm motion
exellent control
no supination

1992 is a long time ago
now is what im talking about

tell me what is wrong with his mechanics
or mussinas
or becketts

ah man

well youre right about CC

youre a great yankees fan
dissing mussina
good job

velocity is not a factor when your effective with what you got(maddux, moyer, duecher? the duke, smoltz)
92 is not slow for his age
13 wins at the all-star break
and on a pace for 20

Huh? You just wrote in your first post “there arent any flaws in his mechanics”. You are the one claiming he has perfect mechanics and now you say nobody does? Again, contradicting yourself.

How do you know it’s his mechanics that has contributed to his health? How do you know it’s not because he’s a reliever? Or any other reason?

This is laughable. How close to “now” does a major arm surgery have to be to be considered in judging a pitcher’s health?

[quote]This is laughable. How close to “now” does a major arm surgery have to be to be considered in judging a pitcher’s health?

[/quote]

mechanics can change over time cant they hmmmmm

[quote]Huh? You just wrote in your first post “there arent any flaws in his mechanics”. You are the one claiming he has perfect mechanics and now you say nobody does? Again, contradicting yourself.
[/quote]

i admit
i shouldn’t have said perfect
but tell me what he does wrong?
i dont see anything

nobody can perfect mechanics because everybodys mechanics are different
ex nolan ryan & greg maddux
different mechaics
long injury free careers

Ugh I can’t stand Mussinas mechanics. But they do fit him. Hes a control pitcher, doens’t do much to help his speed though. The way his leglift comes up almost like he stops everything and has the leg smack him in the chin.

Mo isn’t perfect. You see my avatar? I’m the biggest Rivera fan but he has a very long arm action. And I know there have been a lot of mechanical debates about what Mariano does wrong with his arm. Being a closer arm injuries happen less and Mariano has success with his pitch more than his mechanics.

Hi, Bower.
Reading your last post I was reminded of a long-ago controversy concerning the sound of various saxophone players (I am, as you may know, a retired musician, and I wrote an article for the long-defunct Jazz Review in which I mentioned this). It had been said about John Coltrane, one of the all-time tenor saxophone greats, that he did not have a good sound because it wasn’t like the sound of Lester Young or Coleman Hawkins. I pointed out in the article that Lester Young’s sound was great for Lester Young and Coleman Hawkins’ sound suited Coleman Hawkins. I then said that a saxophone player’s sound is good if it suits his style and conception—and so it was with Coltrane.
The same can be said about a pitcher’s mechanics. Mike Mussina’s mechanics suit his style of pitching. Mariano Rivera’s mechanics are perfect for Mariano Rivera. True, he has one pitch—but what a pitch! I wish I had it. True, he does have a four-seam fast ball, and on occasion he’ll use it, but that cutter—if you’ve ever seen him pitch, he has that easy windup and delivery, looks like it could put you to sleep, and then that pitch explodes on the batter! I wonder if other teams have ever sent him a bill for all the bats they’ve had to replace, he’s broken so many of them.
The one time you could say that a pitcher’s mechanics are off-kilter is if they don’t suit his style of pitching or if they interfere with his effectiveness on the mound. 'Nuff said.

still
there arent any flaws in his mechanics
are there

halladay is overused because of a slumping bluejays pitching staff(besides burnett)

still i ask has rivera or mussina been injured(arm)[/quote]
this shows how much of the jays you watch LOLLLLLLOLOLOLOL

Nothing is perfect, there, case closed, now somebody lock this thread.

[quote=“kelvinp”]when the ball gets to the plate he is standing up[/quote]Sorry. Video shows that his throwing hand is still down outside of his landing leg knee and his shoulders are still rotated. Have you looked closely at his videos?

He’s a great pitcher. No question. I’m glad you’ve come back from using the term “perfect”, though.

As a Tom Scott fan I am dismayed by your omission…such a contemorary great…and talk about a sound…

To jdfromfla: Sorry about that, but I don’t know the guy’s playing—I never heard him, so i couldn’t say one way or another.

did you make this thread just so you could argue with people?