Mandatory weightlifting?

Who here has mandatory weightlifting for baseball after the football season? I really don’t like the weightlifting program they make us follow as it isn’t really a pitchers program. What about you guys?

1 Like

virtually every quality program has an off-season weight program. go light on the weight when it’s a questionable lift. stretching and flexibility are critical to good training

I am in the same situation minus the football lol…I am wary of lifting too much with my shoulders. I went and asked my lifting coach if there were any exercises that I shouldn’t do and he said no but also gave me extra exercises that were more directed towards pitching and shoulder stabilizing exercises. So my advice would be to just ask your coach what other lifts you could do to supplement the lifting you are doing now in order to help your pitching.

Go over to the Workout and Nutrition forum. Man has this topic got some great information offered over there, search for posts by kc86, Lankylefty or Centerfield, or kyleb…more than you’d likely want to know about best lifting with least damaging impact. Also it sounds like your lifting coach is sensitive to pitchers…look into some Tuff Cuff stuff.

What does the workout look like? What makes it not a pitcher’s program?

What does the workout look like? What makes it not a pitcher’s program?[/quote]

Its more of a position players workout in my opinion because 70-80% of it is upper body. (Bench, Incline Bench, Overhead press, etc.) Not enough lower body/core exercises. Looks like an O-linemans workout to me

What does the workout look like? What makes it not a pitcher’s program?[/quote]

Its more of a position players workout in my opinion because 70-80% of it is upper body. (Bench, Incline Bench, Overhead press, etc.) Not enough lower body/core exercises. Looks like an O-linemans workout to me[/quote]

what is the 30% of lower body exercises?

if those 30% of lower body lifts include squats and deadlifts, then you are fine.

Thats what i’m thinking.