Making the MLB

How many people do you think make the MLB after playing college?

A very very very very small percentage.

I read somewhere it was something like 2% of college baseball players sign a major league contract.

So you really have to stand out?!

i am a varsity High school pitcher who has gone to an elite college camp for ASU. if i continue to train and work with wat i do. and play college. what would my chances be of being drafted. I am currently 17, 6 foot 3, 180 pounds and still growing. i have a low to mid 80’s fastball and increasing with good off speed. when i reach draft age, based on how i am now. what do you think my chances will be. BE BLUNT

SLIM. Not that you can’t make it but you really have to have a work ethic that outdoes everyone else, not to mention your stuff has to stand out as well. You have a good thing going for you with size, and still being young. Not sure if this is 100% true but I heard that at one time there is only 1800 people signed to professional contracts, so that’s all the way from A all the way up to MLB. Best of luck!

I’ll be blunt, nobody has any clue or idea what your “chances” are. Not yourself, not your college pitching coach, not a scout. Time will tell, just focus on the things you can control and work hard. Focus on the process, not the end result of getting drafted.

I think your chances are good. Keep throwing, stay dedicated and outwork the competition…

Always know that there’s someone, somewhere working harder than you right now. And he’s trying to take your spot on the team, your scholarship or your draft slot… So you’ve got to one-up him. Ask yourself this question every day: What will you do today to outwork the competition? Good luck and keep working hard!

It just depends on how things go for you, I would say right now YOU are the one who will decide how far you go. All you can do is work hard.

Your question relating to “how many want to play pro ball”, has to be balanced with … “who has plans to do something else”…

Not everyone wants to go through to grind of being a professional in this sport. Heavens knows the novelty of the so-so money and other considerations can wear real thin after a while. Besides, professional ball has a career building process that not only encompasses the athletic side of the sport - but also the professional indoctrination of being just that - a professional with business savvy, age Vs what’s-in-the-market already, timing one’s entry, big market/small market player, and a host of other things that make a professional … a true professional.

Very few, and I mean very few college players are equipped to deal with the business end of this occupation. The things that lie on the fringes for a young man that hasn’t got the slightest idea of what’s going on … is at the mercy of a fast paced environment. Add to that the minors are nothing to write home about - a rude awakening for some and even crueler for others.

There are benchmarks for pitchers about to enter the professional ranks and the realities of perfection already packaged … not just in the making, leaves many a man on the curb. Very few college men have dad build a mound in their backyard, pay for expert coaching that can last for years - not just one summer, highly competitive play where the man is actually learning not just hitting the ground running just to keep his head above water, etc., etc.

Many a college program is sub-par compared to the limited number of outstanding programs that have been around since one day older than dirt. Then there are institutions that have dropped baseball because of budget considerations in favor of other “paying” programs. Besides, the disparity between - say, the states in New England and the Great Lakes Region compared to Florida is a no contest as far as promoting and progressing the sport and the skills of those involved.

Good question though.

Coach B.