Make Your 2013 Resolutions Here

What are your pitching-related New Year’s Resolutions?

I will get all of my spring league pitchers on videos for analysis multiple times instead of just at the beginning of the season.

A long time ago I made one resolution—the only one I’ve ever been able to keep—and it’s just this: never to make any more resolutions! Saves time and temper and keeps my blood pressure down. 8) :roll:

Its funny how age changes these things. Mine is to lose weight, my sons is to gain weight.

I made my personal resolution earlier this year. I started my weight loss goal Nov 1st and have lost 15 pounds since then without really changing my normal exercise regimen.

My big fixes:
-No food after 8pm at all (unless it’s Sunday or Monday night football and I have veggies and dip).
-No desserts except after weekend dinners.
-Drink 16 oz glass of room temp water before every meal.
-No soda except with weekend dinners.
(As you can tell, I love and look forward to the weekend)
-All other meals are paired with milk or water. Sometimes I’ll have orange juice or cranapple juice to kill the monotony.

most importantly…
-NO BEER!

In another month, I’ll be ready to coach some baseball. I can’t wait!

Just realized I’ve made my 50th post in under a month on this forum. Just talking about baseball probably has my metabolism up!

No more giving up 0-2 and 1-2 count hits. They drive me crazy!

Gain 5mph on 4 seam off the mound. Hopefully within the next few months, as I ramp up workouts. I’d have a party if I picked up two though!

[quote=“CoachPaul”]I made my personal resolution earlier this year. I started my weight loss goal Nov 1st and have lost 15 pounds since then without really changing my normal exercise regimen.

My big fixes:
-No food after 8pm at all (unless it’s Sunday or Monday night football and I have veggies and dip).
-No desserts except after weekend dinners.
-Drink 16 oz glass of room temp water before every meal.
-No soda except with weekend dinners.
(As you can tell, I love and look forward to the weekend)
-All other meals are paired with milk or water. Sometimes I’ll have orange juice or cranapple juice to kill the monotony.

most importantly…
-NO BEER!

In another month, I’ll be ready to coach some baseball. I can’t wait!

Just realized I’ve made my 50th post in under a month on this forum. Just talking about baseball probably has my metabolism up![/quote]

I thought I’d revisit this thread. In case anyone cares, my above strategy for shedding pounds has yielded another 2 pounds of loss in the past 3 weeks without really doing anything out of the ordinary.

The only adaptation I’ve had to the plan is instead of room temp water, I’m using ice cold water (basically slush). I was told that your body will use energy to bring it up to your body temperature, which is why body temperature water is best during strenuous competitive activity. You save every calorie of energy for the game instead of using it for warming up cold water.

I’ve been doing lots of rotator cuff and scap work at the same time as my son, and we can really feel a difference after the entire fall and first month of winter doing the drills. My son is now doing 15 pull ups and 11 chin ups. I won’t tell you how many pull ups and chin ups I can do, but it’s less than that :oops: .

He’s worked on his upper body through swimming 4 times per week for 90 minutes. He’s also grown 1.5" and put on 5 pounds since summer. He’s also been doing hindu squats, lateral hindu squats and jumping hindu squats to work on leg explosiveness.

He’s been doing this for a while now and has never lifted weights, but has the fastest fastball in town for his age group.

I figured this would be a good post for my 100th on this site since I joined a couple of months back.

Time for another milestone update. With this post, I’ve been on the board for about 3 months and post number 150 elevates me to the rank of ‘Minor League’. I’ve mostly enjoyed my time bouncing around this forum.

For those who care, my weight loss is holding steady at -18 pounds. I have been going to lots of banquets and events related to school activities. I had a bit of a scare there when I added back 4 pounds, but I’ve gotten that reversed.

I just need to get past the next two weeks because my activity level usually accelerates after the daylight savings time change.

I haven’t thrown a baseball in a few months, but I’ve been throwing a lot of footballs. My arm feels better than it has in 4-5 years. I really focused on my conditioning because these High School kids will really be a test for me this year as I try to keep up (sort of).

I’m hoping to drop another 10 pounds by April 1st. Wish me luck.

Officially 3 months on the board now. This is my 200th post. I hope I’ve been helpful or at least entertaining. My weight loss has leveled off, so it’s time to increase my workouts. I’ll be doubling up on my running and will get myself some cage time to blow off some steam. I’ll keep you posted.

Congrats on the 200th post. It sure goes along quickly.

Good luck on the weight loss.

I was messing around sorting all posters by total posts in descending order. I noticed that I’m already in the top 100 most active posters. This will be my 220th post which puts me in a 3 way tie for 95th place.
My next post will put me alone in 95th place.

I fully understand that it’s not about quantity, but about quality.

Aside from having to defend my honor a few times against people who shall remain unnamed, or to prove a point about how some people can get away with certain behaviors on the board while others get reprimanded, I believe my posts have been positive contributions to the great discussions on this board.

I’ve even had some people reach out to me via PM or email whom I never would have gotten to meet and interact with–even if it’s only virtually. I’ve even stumbled across some people who are living just up the road from me. I think that’s all rather interesting.

Anyway, thanks for putting up with me for the past 3 plus months. At my current rate of involvement on the site, I’ll be moving up in rank shortly and climbing up the total post ladder rung by rung.

Thanks again.

I have hit a wall on the weight loss, but like I said, the weather has been horrible and much of the winter was spent nursing an ACL, which has shown significant improvement over the past few weeks.

I injured it playing guitar this past fall (don’t ask :oops: )

Last week, I was able to go over 1 mile before I got some mild discomfort. Since then I’m having no real troubles, so I think I’ll double my jogging on the treadmill before I take it to the road. It sucks not getting tired after running and having to stop due to injury rather than conditioning. Once I can really get after it, I’ll be able to triple and quadruple the caloric burn from each jog.

I have already begun flat ground throwing, but I can’t really brace with my front leg yet, so I’m keeping things tame until I have my strength back in that leg. Everything I’ve attempted recently has been pain free during the activity and had some mild tightness in the hours afterward. I’ve resolved most of that with heat treatments prior to activity and post activity stretching followed by anti inflammatory meds and ice.

On the forums, I’m at 289 posts and there are only 70 or so people who have posted more on this forum. I’ll have Major League rank in a few days and should reach All-star by the end of the summer with little trouble. 5 of the next 7 people I need to pass are no longer active on the forum, so they are standing still and I should vault pass them at a steady rate. My current level of activity will put me in the top 50 posters on this board.

I hope everyone considers my posts generally worth the read. I know I’ve learned a lot reading many of your posts.

My Red Sox won Monday afternoon and play the Evil Empire once again today. It would be nice to get off to a decent start this year and be competitive in the AL East.

The East should be a real firestorm this year. I can’t wait to see how it shakes out. I think most of the teams will end up with records around .500 or slightly higher. I don’t see any one team running away with things. But that might make securing a wild card berth from that division very challenging since I don’t think the East champ will end up more than 5-7 games over .500.

Ok, this is my 400th post in 9 months. My plan was to be at 450 by this time, but spring and summer ball commitments set me back slightly. I’ll try to be more active watching the videos everyone posts. I love watching all the variation and yet there are many commonalities. I hope I’ve been helpful to those who have looked for assistance. Fall ball takes much less time from me, so I should be around more. I’m down 28 pounds in 9 months and I’m pitching what I preach, even at my age. 3 pens per week with my son. I installed a basketball hoop in the yard and between daily swimming, baseball, and basketball, I can still keep dropping weight. My plan is to drop 10 more by New Years. Stay tuned!

I’ve been away from the forums over the past several months. Very busy time. I’ve kept 23 of those pounds off. I’m at 500 posts, so only about 100 in 10 months. That’s off my previous pace. I have not yet looked through most of the unanswered posts or the videos posted. I hope to spend some time looking at some of those over the next few days. Looking to get through the fall season doing some umpiring and working with the kids on fundamentals 2-3 days per week as long as the weather holds. You might say I’m in training for the over 50 league. The kids will be out of school by then. My last game pitched was when I was 38. I’ve managed to iron out mechanics enough to not have lost velocity. I’m still upper 70s at 45 years old. Still surprising the high school kids at the indoor facility. They seem shocked that I throw harder than most of them :wink: I’ve also been taking batting practice hitting with my son pitching. This season in high school the opposition was hitting 0.148 against him and he had 59 Ks in 36 innings giving up 22 hits and just 4 earned runs and WHIP of 1.17. He’s still the hardest thrower on his team. His intent is always there–even when he’s getting loose playing catch. One of his teammates told him to slow it down…this isn’t game 7 of the World Series. He replied “You’re right, but I’m working on it.”

It’s fall again. Playoff baseball. How about the Royals?! I can’t wait to see how that plays out.

Update: I’m at only 532 posts ( I would like it to be more --for now I’ll have to settle for being a top 50 all time poster on this website ), but it has been a hectic and busy summer, for sure. I was contacted by a member of this sight to get back into video analysis and I’ve committed to doing just that.

I’ve also managed to drop another 5 pounds since July. I’m joining my son on workouts every couple of days. I’m feeling better all the time. I have the energy to work with my son and my daughter the way I’ve wanted to. I was running down fly balls in the outfield at the end of the season during a scrimmage where the coaches were playing the outfield for both teams and I was getting to balls that I wouldn’t have thought possible last year.

All of my newer belts are too big for me now since I’ve dropped nearly 30 pounds. I’m using belts I haven’t been able to wear in about 6 years. I’m going shopping for new (smaller) clothes this week! I fit into my old Sunday League Philadelphia Phillies uniform shirt again. Maybe that’s a sign that I need to dust off the spikes next Spring. We’ll see how things go with the kids’ activities and the work schedule to see if I can swing it.

I estimate that I’ve put about 4 mph on my fast ball and I’m now striding at 95% of my height instead of 88%. My son asked me about two week ago where I was getting the extra speed from. I lied to him and said that he’s finally old enough for me to throw full speed :wink:

I’ve been in search of an 85 mph fastball my entire life. It’s funny that I may actually reach it in my late 40s. Stay tuned.

I make a resolution never to be late on resolutions again.

Oh crap … I did it again! [size=24]:crazy: [/size]

It’s almost time for the 2015 resolutions!