CHECKLIST
pedro martinez’s change up
roy halladay’s curve
roy halladay’s sinker
mike mussina’s knuckle curve
tim lincecum’s curve
and more

post all of the major league pitcher’s pitching grips you got or can find

Tim Lincecum throws two different curves. I’ve never seen anyone mention this.

[quote]Tim Lincecum throws two different curves. I’ve never seen anyone mention this. [/quote] i think thats the same pitch. its held across the same horseshoe on both grips but at different spots. i do that alot with my curve, hold it different but the same ya know? meaning hes throwing that horseshoe the same both ways just holding on different threads.

one is held like a fastball with the index finger off
sharp
1st pic
the other is held like a two seam with the index off
loopy
2nd pic

so its fastball grips jammed back into the thumb-index web and the index finger off

more grips

It’s not the same grip. On the left he grips it across the seams. On the right, he grips it with the seams.

Here is a different angle of the grip on the left. People have mistaken it for a four-seam grip.

[quote]It’s not the same grip. On the left he grips it across the seams. On the right, he grips it with the seams.

Here is a different angle of the grip on the left. People have mistaken it for a four-seam grip.

[/quote]

you pretty much said what i just said
mine is a bit more explainatory

sharp
1st pic
loopy
2nd pic

both are back in the index-thumb web
so its fastball grips jammed back into the thumb-index web and the index finger off

more grips

[quote=“kelvinp”][quote]It’s not the same grip. On the left he grips it across the seams. On the right, he grips it with the seams.

[/quote]

sharp
1st pic
loopy
2nd pic

more grips[/quote]

Congrats…

no look at horseshoe its gana spin the same way on both grips if you use the use the 2nd pictures grip then take the ball and rotate it perfectly is the same grip just with the seams rather than along them. but the rotation of the ball and how it spins will be exactly the same for both

[quote]it perfectly is the same grip just with the seams rather than along them. but the rotation of the ball and how it spins will be exactly the same for both

[/quote]

sorry but that is stupid
it is held differently so it is not the same grip

the first will rotate like a four seam with almost complete side spin
the second will rotate like a two seam with almost complete side spin

a two seam and four seam dont rotate the same when they are thrown the same way
why would those two curves do it

plus of they rotated the same way and are throw with the same arm speed they would break the same
they dont

MORE GRIP PEOPLE
PLEASE

[quote=“kelvinp”][quote]It’s not the same grip. On the left he grips it across the seams. On the right, he grips it with the seams.

[/quote]

sharp
1st pic
loopy
2nd pic

more grips[/quote]
that was really a stupid comment…anyway im not saying the grips arent different what im saying is upon release the spin of ball and trajectory will be the exact same…try this take 2 pieces of tape and stick on perfectly across the loop of the horseshoe and one across seams like in a 4 seam. youll have a perfect axis(i guess you’d say) the way he holds it in both pics is perfectly along an axis of spin. as in if you put a piece of tape from how you throw a 4 seam all the way down no matter how you held the ball weather it be on where the horseshoe meats or where it seperates the axis of spin is gana be same which means pitch is same

I wouldn’t mind seeing Trevor Hoffman’s changeup grip, if anyone has that.

well why does lincecum have a sharp and loopy curve
the one with the four seam grip would rotate faster because of more seams colliding with air resistane
just like with a fastball

you can tell they arent gripped th same
why would he have two grips for the same pitch
if they were the same why do they break different

MORE GRIPS PLEASE

that is on the pitching tips blog
at the top of the page
home-order-pitchingarticles-dicussionforums-PITCHINGTIPSBLOG-

ok first of all the reason theres a loopy and a hard break is because of how there thrown not how there held. changing a grip is not gana drastically change th movement and break of a ball. also both of his pitches will have same amount of seam on rotation which is what im tryin to say…here durp

those are all 4 seam fastballs held along same axis of the ball…different grips but same pitch because upon release the same amount of seams will catch the exact same way for every single one of those 4seam grips…think a lil before you say somthings stupid

Jake, I understand what you are trying to say. But the grip where is fingers are across the seams, it’s a bit off-center. It’s closer to a four-seam fastball grip. His other grip is basically his two-seam grip with his index finger moved over and pointing.

o ok thats all i was looking for was a just responce without having to hear the extras from nationals pitching coach over hear. i see what your talking about now

[quote]o ok thats all i was looking for was a just responce without having to hear the extras from nationals pitching coach over hear. i see what your talking about now

[/quote]

ive been saying that the whole time

xv’s

[quote]one is held like a fastball with the index finger off
sharp
1st pic
loopy
2nd pic

more grips[/quote]
what i said

not
the ball will come off the fingers differently
with the second/two seam grip the ball comes off one seam on one finger

the first/4seam grip will come off the two seams that come in contact with the middle finger

simple
a four seam is faster a two seam breaks more
four seam curve is faster and sharper
two seam curve is slower and breaks more

lincecum keeps the same arm speed with all his pitches
so the grip has to do something

I wouldn’t think that the position of the seams would have much to do with the difference in speeds. A 2-seam isn’t much slower than a 4-seam. But a grip like a spike or knucklecurve drastically changes the speed. I’d say it has a lot to do with finger pressure and wrist movement and such.

hold a fastball grip
rotate it a fourth or more to the right or left
wont be the same pitch speed or break

and anyway
the two seam grip is like the beginners curve grip
not meant to go fast

answer this
why are the two curve different
different breaks and speeds
he doesnt change arm action or speed

answer that

MORE GRIPS PLEASE

actually, a 2 seam curveball breaks less since there is les seams catching the air making it break. the only reason why you get more tailling action on a 2-seamer is because you pronate and apply pressure on the index finger. the 2 seamer is about the way it drops more than the way it tails. throw your 4-seamer the way you throw your 2-seamer and i guarantee you you’ll get a lot of tail. (if you get tail on your 2seamer)