M. Ellis

I’m 6’0", 130.
I throw 55-65
Do i need more weight to throw harder?
I use drop and drive mechanics like tom seaver

Not to get on you or anything, but c’mon! Like I said before, I’m 5’3" and I weight 135. You probably do need to bulk up a bit. Just do pushups, crunches, pullups, that kind of stuff.

Nutrition is the main secret to weight gain. You can do all sorts of exercises and lifting, but unless you are giving your body the fuel it needs to rebuild and get bigger then it wont matter in the least.

Sort out your diet, see how much you eat on a normal day, then start adding 500 calories each day until you see results (ie. gaining a pound a week). If you want to get more indepth, then talk to a nutritionist or pick up one of John Berardi’s books.

[quote=“slurve22”]I’m 6’0", 130.
I throw 55-65
I use drop and drive mechanics like tom seaver[/quote]

Yea man, you need to eat like you’ve never eaten before. I see skinny kids all the time who say, “I eat all the time, I just never gain weight” and I say “Well apperently you don’t lol”. With a body like yours, I bet you could stand to eat 5000 calories a day for a couple of months, that should put 15-20 pounds on. And as I’m guessing you have no muscle either, your going to want to start doing alot of bodyweight exercises like pushups, pullups, ect… After you have gained 10 or so pounds and hopefully gotten a little stronger, start reallly focusing on your legs and core. With a body like yours, I wouln’t say its out of the question to see a 15 mile an hour gain over the winter if you put on some good weight.

WOW! So if i weigh 150 or so (I already have really strong legs), i could be a flamethrower. Thanks!

Idk man, from the looks of it your lack of muscle probably really inhibits your velocity. I’m not saying its going to happen, but if you put on some muscle and add some overall body strength its a possibility I guess.

[quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”][quote=“slurve22”]I’m 6’0", 130.
I throw 55-65

Yea man, you need to eat like you’ve never eaten before. I see skinny kids all the time who say, “I eat all the time, I just never gain weight” and I say “Well apperently you don’t lol”. With a body like yours, I bet you could stand to eat 5000 calories a day for a couple of months, that should put 15-20 pounds on. And as I’m guessing you have no muscle either, your going to want to start doing alot of bodyweight exercises like pushups, pullups, ect… After you have gained 10 or so pounds and hopefully gotten a little stronger, start reallly focusing on your legs and core. With a body like yours, I wouln’t say its out of the question to see a 15 mile an hour gain over the winter if you put on some good weight.[/quote]

If they eat all the time they probably still malnurish themselves by not getting a good variety of everything.

Just remember excercise and a good diet help.

[quote=“Pustulio”][quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”][quote=“slurve22”]I’m 6’0", 130.
I throw 55-65

Yea man, you need to eat like you’ve never eaten before. I see skinny kids all the time who say, “I eat all the time, I just never gain weight” and I say “Well apperently you don’t lol”. With a body like yours, I bet you could stand to eat 5000 calories a day for a couple of months, that should put 15-20 pounds on. And as I’m guessing you have no muscle either, your going to want to start doing alot of bodyweight exercises like pushups, pullups, ect… After you have gained 10 or so pounds and hopefully gotten a little stronger, start reallly focusing on your legs and core. With a body like yours, I wouln’t say its out of the question to see a 15 mile an hour gain over the winter if you put on some good weight.[/quote]

If they eat all the time they probably still malnurish themselves by not getting a good variety of everything.

Just remember excercise and a good diet help.[/quote]

Well even if its malnourished over eating, its still overeating, so they should gain some weight.

A lot of fat people are actually malnourished because of that reason.

the first thing you need to do is build arm strength safely. pedro martinez and many latin players are less than 6’ tall, 150 lbs soaking wet, and they throw the thunder out of the ball. how do they do it? they got a great arm and they throw, and throw and throw. that is the latin program and the one advocated by leo mazzonne, the pitching coach of the 3 hall of famers from the braves.

my pitchers get a bucket of 50 baseballs, get in a cage or in front of a net, and after getting good and loose (breaking a full sweat), empty the bucket 3 times (150 pitches) at about 70% maximum. work up to this amount though. start at 100 pitches and the last 20 at near maximum velocity. begin by using a crow hop or running start. doing this usually produces good throwing mechanics to throw. then get to a mound and try to duplicate this feeling as you throw.

then get on a good strength and conditioning program and get after it. the ellis stuff looks really good. strength, coordination and good mechanics will get you way down the road.

i lot further than 10lbs. in my opinion.

dusty delso

[quote=“dusty delso”]the first thing you need to do is build arm strength safely. pedro martinez and many latin players are less than 6’ tall, 150 lbs soaking wet, and they throw the thunder out of the ball.
dusty delso[/quote]

Pedro Martinez weighs 195 lbs.

pedro weighs that now, but when he signed with the dodgers he was 5’9" to 5’10" and weighed 150 lbs. he threw high 80’s and touched 90’s with a great curveball. the dodgers ordered pedro, his brother and a guy named wettland to throw 80 to 85% fastballs in a ball or they would fire the minor league manager. they lost over 100 games that year but finished with fastballs consistently in the low to mid 90’s and then had 2 quality pitches. johan santana did the same thing in winter ball with his change up, throwing it at least 65 percent of the time until he got it where they coldn’t hit it. i saw him pitch at kansas city, and he stayed at 92-93. he touched 95-96 and three of those pitches were off the wall for doubles (the ball usually straightens out when you focus on velocity). if you’re going to build arm strength, you must throw hard consistently. at least 3 times per week. if you’re going to develop a pitch, you have to throw it.

it’s hard to argue with a bucket of 50 baseballs, get loose, then throw 50 fastballs into a net about 35 ft away, 50 change ups, and then alternate fastball, change for 50 pitches. do this 3 times per week. if you get pain in the joints, stop. if you get pain in the belly of the muscles, keep going-that’s what you want.

if you want to gain weight as fast as possible, the olympic committee used to advocate a gallon of whole milk and 1 pound of peanut butter per day in addition to your regular meals. it will make you sick (you’ll get the trots for awhile) and shock your system, but you will gain weight. but if you don’t gain arm strength, the weight will be of minimum benefit.

It’s very possible I am wrong, but Pedro’s major velocity jump was due in large part to his weight gain.

When he weighed 150 he was throwing much less harder than he is now (or was before he got injured).

you may be right but i know part of the reason the dodgers traded him to the red sox is that he was so small and threw so hard, they thought he would break down (which he didn’t until later in his career).

there’s no question that bigger is better when it comes to pitchers (some professional teams believe a righty needs to be 6’2’ or better). guess they wouldn’t like pedro, feller or linscum (i can never spell his name right). more weight and longer levers usually = more velocity and stamina, but not always.

thanks for the input.

Lincecum. :wink:

By the way, I may have to try that “diet” you talked about a few posts ago. I’m thinking a few extra pounds could do for me what it did for Pedro (though I have the advantage height-wise, that’s for sure).

just be careful and use good judgement. i wish you the very best. let me know how it goes.

There are a many better ways to gain weight than eating a pound of peanut butter and drinking lots of whole milk. Without getting into the minute details, suffice it to say that the best way to add lean mass is by increasing protein intake throughout the day, and also increasing daily caloric intake. (PB and milk may add quick numbers to the scale, but most likely it will come in the way of fat, which wont help your pitching, overall athleticism, or health).

I have read a couple of John Berardi’s books and I think that would be a comprehensive resource for you to pick up to start with. Precision Nutrition is a good place to start: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/system.html

Don’t count on weight gain to add velocity. In this particular case the player is so thin that he may have less than normal muscular development in which case gaining strength and weight may help. However, in general there doesn’t seem to be a real strong correlation between weight and throwing velocity.

Weight will add to the ability to produce momentum but you still have to transfer the momentum effectively and if the arm speed/strength isn’t there then the added momentum isn’t going to help.

Hitting is different because momentum can be almost directly transferred to bat speed and weight does tend to help add power.

a gallon of whole milk and a pound of peanut butter? At that rate, in a weak, i’d weigh 250

i’m really that thin? How much did feller weigh? He and lincecum both throw 100 mph. Fausto Carmona was 6’4", 160 when he got signed, but he’s now 220. I’m a righty. My best pitch is a slider like randy johnson (I throw a low 3/4 or a high sidearm).