Lower half

im having trouble incorporating my lower half in my pitching is there anything i should do different mechanically wise or any drills for using more of your body when throwing

There is always the Hershiser drill

What I always like to do is just do a lot of dry throws and throw from a mound and really focus on getting my lower half into my throwing motion, video taping yourself will always help so you’re not just guessing if you’re doing it right or not. I takes a ton of repetition, little things like visualization will also help. I know that sounds strange but this game is a mental game so little mental things like that will help your performance a lot.

i struggle with the same thing, and your legs are a key component to developing more velocity. changing something mechanically proves to be quite a challenge. i have little faith in pitching drills because pitchers tend to go through the motions and never apply what they practiced to a game situation. i can tell you that i strongly believe in muscle memory, which is strange because i just wrote about this on my blog. you need to train your lower have to do what you want it to do. your muscles need to be taught something different from what you have been doing. currently i am working on developing a longer stride. this will give me more power and more control at the same time. also, a good weight shift from the back leg to the front leg, and then into a longer stride really creates an explosive delivery. once my legs get used to the motion, it should become natural. the way i am trying to do this is to do everything just like i would in a game. not throwing 100% all the time obviously, but definitely using the same types of motions you would normally use.

hope this helped you a little bit. i am looking for answers just like you. good luck to you.

The key to getting more power into your pitches is to use the entire body—to drive off the lower half, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and seamless) motion, so that your arm and shoulder are just going along for the ride and you throw harder and faster with less effort. I remember how I learned to do this by watching the Yankees’ Big Three back in the late 40s and early 50s; they were all doing this, and I saw just what they were doing, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own. As I practiced this essential aspect of good mechanics I found that doing this took a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder, and being a natural sidearmer I discovered that I could do just that—throw harder and faster, and I got more pop into my pitches (such as it was; I wasn’t exactly fast and had to rely on a good arsenal of breaking pitches). And not a sore arm or a sore elbow or a sore anything else.
Yes, there’s the Hershiser drill, which aims at getting the hips into the action. There are a few other things, if I remember correctly—Tom House’s book “The Art and Science of Pitching” has them, with illustrations, and you can get some videos or DVDs from the NPA. All these things should help you get what you want. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher: