Lower half cue

A flaw I see in most pitchers than can’t get over the hump is being front-hip dominant. It can be a mobility constraint or a motor skills flaw but in most cases they had a coach that wanted them to get down the mound to a certain distance (usually at least 100% of height). I’ve said in past posts, the stride doesn’t matter if you can’t stabilize it. Stabilizing meaning accepting ground reaction forces through the front leg.

A great cue, I saw from Matt Blake talked about having pitchers trying to feel their landing. “Stride” for force into the ground. This will not only help eliminate reaching in the stride but should help keep tension in the hips, and in turn eliminate a disconnect between the lower and upper half. Basically, if you can’t stabilize the hips, the hips can’t rotate and flex as efficiently. You’ll notice the priority in the stride will no longer be to get to a certain spot but to land hard which will in turn help rotate hard, which is a key to velocity.

I like this - thanks king. I always am trying to think of new ways for players to think of certain key mechanics. The thought of “force into the ground” I think is simple enough that most will understand.

Just to be clear, ground force production and a long stride are not mutually exclusive. Some things that contribute to one also contribute to the other (e.g. momentum).

I understand that, I’m saying especially in young kids, telling them to just stride as far as they can leads to reaching, leaking, swinging, and disconnect. And in most cases they won’t stabilize their landing and they’ll spin off their foot or never be able to get their head over their front leg. The reaching causes a disconnect in the two halves and they can’t work together.

If a kid can stride 100% of his height and stabilize his landing, great. But in most cases, there is some leaking from that front knee, and a cue of more force into the ground might 1) help them keep better tension in the lower half, and in turn 2) allow them to get over their front foot at ball release, because of a more efficient stride.

Agreed.