Lower Back Mobility

After my Deadlifts and sometimes squats my lower back hurts. I think it is because it is rounding and i am not able to keep it neutral. Anybody have any ways to improve this regions mobility?

Lower back mobility is actually the problem, not the solution. You want lower back stability. Check out Low Back Disorders by Stuart McGill if you can (kinda pricey) or read what Eric Cressey has to say about it.

To be honest, i do read most of Cresseys stuff that he puts out there. A lot of times though it seems to be a lot of big words and no real solution, i.e actual exercises that will help improve it. Can you give me some stuff that would actually apply directly to lower back stability?

Pallof presses, Hindu push-ups, some dynamic warm-up procedures, etc.

Try Pallof Presses, Farmer’s Walks and Planks to stabilize the core. AS Kyle points out, mobility in the low back is a problem.

http://bretcontreras.com/2011/09/the-rkc-plank/

Other things to consider is using less weight when deadlifting and squating. It is better to use less weight with good form than heavier weights with bad form and winding up getting hurt. (Ask me how I know.)
You might also try single leg squats and deadlifts to build strength with less weight.

Another idea.

Make a slosh pipe and do squats with it. Not much weight but plenty of work.

Ben Bruno recommends front squats for a bad back.

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies. I am going to look into them…

I think i may replace my box squat with the front squat and see how my back feels afterwards. I would like to work in the leg up split squat too, but not sure when. I am already doing lunges as well as the squats…

I will also add the ab/back exercises that were suggested.

Not to shoot down what Kyleb or anyone’s advice - it is very good -but Why not

1. Find someone to teach you the proper technique for deadlifting and

2. Dropping the weight on your deadlift until you get the form right?

Lower back isn’t supposed to have mobility - I believe most would say mobility should occur in the hips and the thoraic region and the lower back is stable. Work on strengthening - these regions as well as improving your stability in your lower back and you should be ok. BUT GET THE TECHNIQUE DOWN AS WELL. It does you no good as a pitcher to have a hurt back - you will be locked down for weeks with a sore back.

[quote=“beaver26”]Thanks for all the suggestions and replies. I am going to look into them…

I think i may replace my box squat with the front squat and see how my back feels afterwards. I would like to work in the leg up split squat too, but not sure when. I am already doing lunges as well as the squats…

I will also add the ab/back exercises that were suggested.[/quote]

You can still use a box and front squat.

Also, once weights start getting heavier - you need to keep an eye on your shoulder - because on the front squat the bar rests right on the front of the shoulder & this can cause some bruising and pain for a couple of days after lifting.

Maybe i will alternate front and box squats each lifting session. So i would be doing each of them once a week(2 lower body lifts).

One other thing. Would sumo deadlifts be a better fit for me right now? I believe less range of motion is needed to perform these.

Due to my lumbar issues (herniated disc from bad posture my whole life), I switched almost entirely to front squats and trap-bar deadlifts (as well as heavy unilateral stuff). Works well, and my back feels great. I will eventually switch to back squats in the off-season, though.

I just got done with a lifting session using foot raised split squats in replace of my normal box squats, and sumo deadlift for my deadlift. My back felt much better, especially after the sumo’s. However it was very light weight because i am trying to follow kidmullens suggestion of mastering form first.

I want to do a front/box squat for a main lift, but don’t feel i have the stablilty right now. I have a hard time squatting parallel without rounding my back with no weight.

I wish i could use the trap bar deadlift, but I don’t have a trap bar.

[quote=“beaver26”]I just got done with a lifting session using foot raised split squats in replace of my normal box squats, and sumo deadlift for my deadlift. My back felt much better, especially after the sumo’s. However it was very light weight because i am trying to follow kidmullens suggestion of mastering form first.

I want to do a front/box squat for a main lift, but don’t feel i have the stablilty right now. I have a hard time squatting parallel without rounding my back with no weight.

I wish i could use the trap bar deadlift, but I don’t have a trap bar.[/quote]

As an alternate to the trap bar some trainers suggest elevating a regular bar by placing weights under the plates - this raises the bar off the floor. I do this sometimes when I work out at a gym & some one else is using the trap bar for something idiotic like shoulder shrugs.

Also - I think the sumo DL is easier on the back - but it is harder on the hips (everything seems to be a tradeoff).