Lower arm angle oddities

ive got three questions

since underhand is the natural arm motion

Why dont you see alot of sidearmers and submarines

why dont they throw high velocity

why do they have more injurys

well sidearm/submarine puts more stress on the elbow but less on the shoulder. Plus a submariner has to bend his back alot causing back injuries. I don’t know why they don’t throw hard but maybe its just because of back bend.

If your trying to talk down on submariners than its understandable injury is high and there aren’t a lot of them but if its what you have to do to be good if you have a lack of velocity then you don’t have much of a choice. Just becuase a guys in the pros as a sub or sidearm guy doesn’t mean he can do it overhand too.

Correct They choose this style when either 1)They’re getting old 2)They don’t have overpowering stuff overhand 3)They’re club switches them 4)They really want to make it to the show. Same goes for a knuckleballer usually

with that being said

what about pedro martinez and edinson volquez
two sidearm Beast
both started sidearm early in their career so
they werent getting old
had/have overpowering stuff

so it has to be some other reason

How bout there club switches them like I already said :roll:

edison volquez is not a sidearmer

pedro and edinson both started off sidearm in the dominican republic

Well thats the domican rebublic this is the US so it doesn’t matter what volquez was , it matters in what he is now.

that isnt volquez

Well it came up in a google image search for volquez my bad

In reference to the knuckleballer thing that Kaz mentioned. That is sometimes true but not always. The Niekro Bros. threw the knuck from the start of their pro careers, same with Wilhelm. However Wakefield and Dickey do apply to that. Notice there are more submariners and sidearmers than knuckleballers.

[/img]

thats volquez side arm

difficulty
being a knuckleballers you have to get by on 1 pitch that you dont know what its gonna do after release

sidearmers have a wider range of pitches and extra movement

still havent got an answer to my questions

and thats not side arm its 3 quarters…elbows above shoulders. sidearms more shoulders and arm arm at a level plain.

same with pedro when he was throwing high 90s he was throwing 3 quarters not sidearm. thats why his 2 seams so nastey but im pretty sure he never dropped to a straight sidearm especially throwing in the high 90s

it looks that way because his shoulders are tilted

the way to tell a sidearmer
is that his arm is straight at release

3/4 and overhanders have a bend in their arm at release
almost every pitcher tilts so there isnt gonna be perfect side arm

it looks that way because his shoulders are tilted

the way to tell a sidearmer
is that his arm is straight at release

3/4 and overhanders have a bend in their arm at release
almost every pitcher tilts so there isnt gonna be perfect side arm

this looks pretty straight to me

The knuckleball thing was more for Kaz not so much for you. Some sidearmers are sidearmers because that’s their natural angle and they had smart coaches that left it alone when they were young.

look at joe smith of the mets was a overhand til college where his coach switched him because he had no movement