Low throwing elbox

I’ve had a low throwing elbow for a while and I need to get this fixed!

I don’t know if I’m throwing to over the top (arm angle) and if going more towards 3/4 would allow a higher elbow or what.

The low elbow has just been killing though because it’s been flatting out my pitches, and causing more high misses.

Another little thing is I feel like I’m pronating early, which give great movement, but reduced, velocity and control (especially since it’s not consistent)

Looking for any suggestions on how to break this habit(s) or what suggestions.

Good evening, centerfield.
Ordinarily I don’t advocate changing the arm angle, but if with your present one you’re missing high because of the low elbow you might consider it. Ideally the elbow should be level with your shoulder, neither high nor low, and this would help you get your pitches down in the strike zone. I can think of few things worse than hanging one up there in the batter’s wheelhouse where he can get good wood on the ball , end result BLAM, over the fence it goes! Try a 3/4 arm slot and see where it takes you.
You also want to get more consistency with your pitches. When I was a little snip, I would get a catcher, and we would play a game we called “ball and strike” in which he would position his mitt in all sorts of places, high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head :lol: and what I would do is work on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt. What a satisfying feeling it was to hear that “thwack” as the ball hit the pocket. Being a sidearmer, I worked particularly on getting good breaks on my assortment of snake-jazz, and it paid off. (My best pitch, which I learned a bit later on, was a very nasty slider which I nicknamed “Filthy McNasty” after a character in a W.C. Fields movie because it was just that.) Anyway, don’t worry about what you perceive to be a loss of velocity—speed may be all well and good, but it’s not nearly as important as location, getting your pitches to go where you want them to. :slight_smile:

If you are dealing with some low elbow issues, I would guess that some of your issues come from mechanical flaws in your LOWER HALF. Many times, a low elbow is a result of collapsing on the back leg and over striding to foot strike.

As you work on keeping the elbow up through release, I would also try and stay taller on the back leg as the hands break and you begin your movement down the mound. If you can maintain a taller more athletic position by the time foot hits the ground, then a solid hip turn and torso extension downward should allow the arm a better chance to be higher and throw down hill. Of course, your elbows must be up and parallel with the shoulders by the time the hips turn, but if you can do this, you will have to work down hill over the front leg to get to the lower half of the strike zone.

i’m getting this from a book:

Low In the Zone:

A Long, Comfortable Stride
Elbow above your shoulder, fingers on top of the ball
Proper release point
Finish the Pitch (make sure you get your upper body, including the head and shoulders into your pitch)

If you can’t throw a pitch where you want it then you have a mechanical flaw. Learn, practice, experiment…talk to your body, visualize and feel yourself getting your body to work in sync

CF is now a freshman at Johns Hopkins. :shock:
I’m very proud of him and the things he’s accomplished. This thread is working on it’s 5th birthday and still gets some great response. CF is in our Hall of Fame as one of our very best conditioning contributers. I consider him family.

[quote=“tonyjh34”]If you can’t throw a pitch where you want it then you have a mechanical flaw. Learn, practice, experiment…talk to your body, visualize and feel yourself getting your body to work in sync[/quote] :applause: I like this.

Southpaw0505 touched on something very important—the necessity of getting the whole body into the action, not just throwing with the arm and the shoulder and leaving everything else to fend for itself. I call it “THE SECRET”—sounds mysterious and arcane, doesn’t it, but it’s not. I picked it up from watching how the Yankees’ legendary Big Three rotation did it, I made a note of it and started working on it on my own. What they did was drive off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion so that all the power and the energy just flowed into the shoulder and the arm, enabling those guys to generate more power behind their pitches—and throw harder and faster with less effort, following through on their pitches without even having to think about it—and not a sore arm or a sore elbow or a sore anything else in the bunch!
As I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I found that I was doing the same thing they were. And being a natural sidearmer I saw that my delivery had more snap and sizzle to it. I think that what really needs to be done here is that this pitcher should work on that lower half, strengthening it and using it as a basis, incorporating it into the overall delivery. There are a number of drills and exercises here and on the NPA site that can be used; one of the best, in my opinion, is the “Hershiser drill” which aims at getting the hips fully involved—and it needs no special equipment, just a wall or a fence.
It’ll pay off in the long run.