Low elbow?

Should the elbow be at or below the shoulder? I am pretty confused because a lot of people tell me different things.

My son is 11 and throws with his elbow slightly below his shoulder too. He has a low release point because he does not tilt his shoulders alot during release. He has good control and throws pretty hard so I really dont know if it is a problem or not.

The elbow will normally, naturally be near shoulder level unless some coach has mucked things up.

Note that “shoulder level” means on a line drawn threw the shoulders. If a pitcher tilts his shoulders, his elbow will still be at shoulder level even though it appears above his shoulder relative to the ground.

Doesn’t sound like a problem to me.

Doesn’t sound like a problem to me.[/quote]

I have a few people tell me that he needs to get his elbow up. I think that everyone has their own arm slot, what is natural to them. There are a few things that every pitcher should try to do but they have to keep what is natural to them.

Guys like Maddux, Randy Johnson, and Roger Clemens keep their throwing elbows below their shoulders, whereas oft injured guys like Mark Prior have their elbows above their shoulders.

You will be challenged on this site with this assertion Orangepeel…O’Leary blames hyper-abduction of the elbow…not elbow over shoulder as the “cause” of all of poor Mark Priors injuries…including the liner that hit his elbow (Causing a compression fracture) and the collision with Marcus Giles…which hosed up his shoulder. When confront with these facts, O’Leary has stated (On this very site) that he didn’t “buy” that these were the cause of his injuries. So if you have better evidence, you’ll have a large listening audience and we will respectfully let you lay it out…just be aware we’ve had the discussion and it is at this point.

“Keeping the elbow up” is a common cue and I think it’s a valuable one in its purest context. Usually coaches will tell their pitchers to do this so they don’t “push” the ball. The result is a better downward angle to the plate, and a fastball with more life.

On this site, most of the time people will refer to the elbow in relation to the height of BOTH Shoulders. Usually coaches are trying to get pitchers to get their throwing elbow up to the height where the throwing shoulder normally sits while standing up straight. There is nothing wrong will telling a youngster to “get the elbow up” as he is throwing. Many young kids already push the ball too much as it is.

Well as mentioned before it is good to throw some like that but stick to what’s natural.

To me, sidearm is natural and my elbow does dip below my shoulder, I tried going 3/4 and it just doesn’t feel right. I mean I CAN throw like that but I don’t feel cozy like that. Make sure that whatever the throwing angle that you aren’t fooling too much with the natural arm angle.