Lots of balls

I would like you give me some advise for my 13 years old son, he is throwing a lot of balls everytime he pitchs. He throws 20 balls by each two strikes. We have the steven’s complete Pitcher’s Manual and he practices the mechanics and does every drills and a lot of exercises with a personal trainer. In the practice he throws strikes but in games he throws balls.

flat mound. I wouldn’t want to say anything here because i most likely would be wrong. Mechanics are different when your on a flat surface versus the mound. I know it has something to do with releasing earlier. Idk for sure. Someone back me up :?

Freeze the video at release point and check his head/eyes/shoulders… they are all uneven and his glove finishes outside of his shoulders. His release point is going to follow his eyes. Also, take a look at his back foot at release point. When I froze the video, it almost looked like he was dragging the side of his foot (not on the toes) for minimal time that it was on the ground.

I would suggest a couple of things…

1. Start him out lower at the begining because his head dips down from his original position

2. Focus on control the glove to keep the front side closed as long as possible (tell him to keep it pointed at the third base dugout as long as possible)… By the time his front foot lands, his glove is at least straight (if not already tucking), and it is pulling him open early.

3. If you are able to control #2, then it will be easier to drag the back foot longer, which will help him keep his head/eyes/shoulders level, which will help with his release point, which will help with his consistency throwing strikes.

Also, he has another foot to foot and half to add on to his stride. Get him going faster to the plate.

Posture at release is your #1 problem. 10 degrees is the industry standard . Your at more the 35 degrees. Get a mirror and put a towel in your hand then find your center (head and belly button in alignment) at release. This will keep you busy for a while. You might even have strength issues that are contributing to your problem. YOU NEED A MIRROR .

BINGO.

My son had the same problem. He needs to get his trunk more upright and this will help. Paul Nyman calls it Bow Flew Bow. Figure 10 in the below article shows Mike Musina demonstrating this technique.

Also, I agree that he seems to hesitate on his back leg. It actually is easier if you keep your momentum going through out and not try to slow down. An analogy would be riding a bicycle. It is easier to ride a bike fast than it is to ride very slowly.

The comment about the glove will also help although his is not as bad as many I have seen.

Overall, I love his arm action. He looks very athletic and flexible. He is not that far away from being very good.

Pitch off a real mound. Who can tell what your bottom half is doing. None of this other stuff these guys are saying means anything on flat ground.

Here’s something I used to do when I was a little snip, and later on well into my playing days. I would get a catcher, and we would go to a playing field that wasn’t being used at the time, and I would take the mound while he set up behind the plate with his mitt. We would then play a little game we called “ball and strike”; the catcher would position his mitt in various places, high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head! :lol: —and I would concentrate on getting the ball into the pocket of the mitt, actually throwing through it rather than just at it, and being sure to follow through on all my pitches. I did this with all my stuff, at different speeds and later on adding the crossfire move (I was a natural sidearmer). What a sweet, satisfying feeling it was to hear that resounding “thwack” as the ball hit the pocket!
I can think of no better way to really sharpen up one’s control. Also, from time to time we would get someone to stand in the batter’s box so I could really zero in on the strike zone, which in my day was a lot bigger than it is now. In addition to the other things that have been suggested, you might have the kid do this particular drill—it can’t hurt, and it will very likely help. Just be sure there’s a mound for him to throw from—the guy who said that pitching on flat ground was useless is absolutely right in this particular instance! :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher: