Looking for comments on 15 year olds mechanics

Hi – This is a repost of video’s posted yesterday. My previous post was lost so am reposting.

My son is pitching for the Freshmen Team at his High School. I’ve been working on his mechanics since about this time last year so will be sharing before and after video’s.

His stride was quite short as you will see in old video. We’ve been working on pushing out his stride to 90 - 100% of height. His top pitch was clocked at 78 MPH.

1 year ago

New Video

Side View

Front View

Back View

Thoughtful Comments welcome. Thx in advance!

First of all, 78 mph at 15 is very good. Nice job! That’s just about what I was at that age.

Here’s one thing: If you pause the front view at :31 sec, you’ll notice that your son’s head is tilted to the point that his left ear just about rests on his left shoulder. I’d like to see his head stay a little more aligned up and down. Will help his accuracy.

[quote=“Steven Ellis”]First of all, 78 mph at 15 is very good. Nice job! That’s just about what I was at that age.

Here’s one thing: If you pause the front view at :31 sec, you’ll notice that your son’s head is tilted to the point that his left ear just about rests on his left shoulder. I’d like to see his head stay a little more aligned up and down. Will help his accuracy.[/quote]

Steven – Thanks for nice words. You’re right and now I’ve got your comments to help drive the point home. Thanks again.

Just found this pic. Here’s what his head should look like in the video I referenced, by the way…

[/i]

Thanks is that all he really needs work on?

seems to be flying open quite a bit to me. I have had (and to some extent am still having) the same problem. Does he get sore arms often, especially when trying to throw max effort?

I think low 80s is reachable at his age if he stops flying open.

LL – I thought he might be, He’s seems kind of inconsistent at times, one pitch he’ll stay closed all the way to stride foot plant and other times he’ll open up early. He’s not had any sore arm issues yet (thank God) but I’m very cautious as are his coaches in keeping him on a strict pitch count. I’ve heard to many stories, including my own (another story), of hurt arms that go on to discourage kids from continuing on. It seems TJ surgery is way to common now at this age group. It’s unfortunate and one reason why I’m here now asking for any good advice I can get to not only improve his performance but hopefully prevent injury by understanding good mechanics.

Thanks for your post! If he touches 80 this year I’ll be one happy father! :slight_smile:

78 for his age is def. impressive. Is he consistantly around 78 or more 74? One thing I notice on the first video is he may do a better job of getting his front glove out and driving to it. Thats really it on the 1st video… Maybe could stay back a little longer? Heres just an idea and I actually do the same thing so let this be debated but I noticed in the second video he has a pretty high leg kick and when he does he sorta loses sight of the catcher. I do the same thing and It’s a habit I’ve gotta break. Also if he wants to keep the high leg kick he should work on moving his hips toward the plate immediately once the leg kicks up. Get his momemtum going. Instead of lifting his leg and then just sort of pausing. He does open up a once in a while but might be just over throwing for the camera? He does a good job from the back of keeping his lower half aligned. Well thats my 2 cents from a pitcher trying to fix his own mechanics :slight_smile: But yeah I’m really picking hard at the video to find little things but for his age all around pretty good

LBR16 – No he’s not consistently throwing upper 70’s. I would gauge him at low to mid on average. He does tend to move the glove arm around inconsistently which I think also contributes to a lack of control along with his head at ball release. We got some things to continue to work and so appreciate your insight! Good Luck this summer son!

hey im the kid in the video i had a game yesterday as a matter of fact i had no defense in this game coaches congratulated me for going out there throwing strikes. see i threw 60 pitches in 2 innings only allowing one hit and 0 runs and 2 earned 1 unearned. i hit a batter… but it didn’t stop me from throwing hard i threw a strike they called it a ball the ump didn’t like me too much that night i guess, we lost 14,3 horrible 8 of those runs were mine if i had to say how many counted against my earned run total i would have to say 7 maybe all of them i got yanked in the fifth. i think my problem was i am pulling my head and off the stretch i wasn’t slide stepping too much till coach told me too. they were stealing on me like crazy funny thing is i have a really really good pick off move.

i agree with what someone already said about his glove arm action. its inconsistent and most of the time he does not get equal and opposite. also his follow through is inconsistent. sometimes he flattens out sometimes hes staright up sometimes in between the two. i have this problem as well :stuck_out_tongue: . i would work on consistency in your mechanics.

but hey. topping out at 78 as a freshman is purtty good.

he throws 78, huh? 78mph? really? There was a radar gun and it said 78?

yes i topped 78 but im not consistent at 78 i more mid like 73, 74 sometimes 75+

bump!