Longtoss

When reading articles, I find two methods of long toss. The House method would consist of a shorter distance with little to no arc vs the Jaeger method which would extend the distance and allow for arc. I’m sure either method would be better than no long toss, however, I’m at a loss.

I consider House’ methodolgy to be geared toward over-all vitality and Jaeger’s is a velocity development program, yours to choose which way is necessary.

I agree with JD.

Would it be safe to use Houses methods during season & Jaegers the rest of the year? Just interested what everybodys thoughts are.

How often are you pitching and throwing over the course of say a week?

Something that’s worked for me and some of our pitchers here has been to combine the two. As you extend the distance, get some air underneath the throws, being nice and loose and extended. then after reaching a good long toss distance, begin coming back in, the pull down phase of the jaegar program i think, where you throwing on a line towards your partner, being sure to keep the ball flat and staying on top. after each pull down through, get ten or fifteen feet closer, throw again, and so on until your about sixty feet away. this has done a great job keeping my arm fresh throughout the season.

Whichever method you choose, House or Jaeger or a hybrid of the two…pay attention to the details of each, set up a specific program, commit to it and hold yourself accountable. The biggest mistake I see is not being consistent with it and then the program has no chance to reward you as expected.

Son is pitching once to twice a week. Some sort of throwing daily. He is 13 (will turn 14 in July). 5’5" & 160 lb. Started Tuffcuff in January & is following in season workout daily. Haven’t had a gun on him this year, however, based on last year, I would conservatively guess him in the low to mid 70s.

It would be fine to do a combination of the two.

For example look at guys who get warm in College or higher they routinely get out to 180+ on game day.

Just be sure to follow JDs advice. Make a plan and commit to it.

Well I do agree with Dino’s advice :wink: so I’d advise following it…

My bad

Correct that to Dino not JD, looking the wrong post.

I’ve used both over the course of my playing and coaching career. I find the Jaeger plan more effective on multiple fronts. My players hardly ever get sore, they become more athletic/explosive off the hill, and they feel fresh 99% of the time (When August hits, they tend to hit a small wall, but still finish strong).

With the House program, I saw velo decrease, arms continually get sore, and command suffer. For me, it was a no brainer, I’d go with the Jaeger program.

CK

I’ve used both over the course of my playing and coaching career. I find the Jaeger plan more effective on multiple fronts. My players hardly ever get sore, they become more athletic/explosive off the hill, and they feel fresh 99% of the time (When August hits, they tend to hit a small wall, but still finish strong).

With the House program, I saw velo decrease, arms continually get sore, and command suffer. For me, it was a no brainer, I’d go with the Jaeger program.

CK

When I long toss, I don’t think about arc-ing the ball. I try to think about getting it to the target. The ball arcs however much it arcs without me needing to worry about.

I have been doing a Jaeger type of long for a while now, and I like how I feel. I would also suggest throwing change ups once you get to 60 ft on your pulldowns. Doing that has helped me a lot with my control, arm speed of my mine, and movement. I try to keep a loose arm and throw with my body and I try to listen to my arm and my arm will tell me when to start moving in.

I think either method will work just fine. You just have to commit to either one. If you have more problems with arm action, then I would suggest the Jaeger mechanics. I also think infielders should do the House program and pitchers/outfielders should do the House program.

I think pitchers should do the Jaeger program because arm action is important for pitching and stretching the arm is more important. I think this type of program is good for outfielders too because they have to make long throws in the game.

Infielders should do, in my opinion, more of a House program because they make more throws on a line in a game.

Just my opinion though!

Jaeger’s program does as advertised. My son uses the program 3 times a week in the offseason and once a week, on his third day off following a start. Since he’s been using it he’s gained velo and stamina. The program has also helped his catcher who throws long toss with him.

I know this sounds like an endorsement or plug, but I would rather classify it as a testimonial to a well thought out program that when done with commitment does work. This isn’t to say the program is a quick or easy fix. It isn’t, in fact it’s hard work that has to be repeated regularly.

I like Jaeger’s program, though I don’t know much about anyone else’s - I haven’t found the need to research much more than his going-out and pull-down concepts, which I feel work very well for both improved velocity and durability.