Long toss

Question on the distances of long toss. what is the connection between length of long toss and velocity? as in, how far equals how fast? does anyone have some numbers?

The more farther you can long toss (on a line) the more velocity the ball has to have in order to have a proper tragectory. This doesn’t work if you just lobster the ball in long toss, you must really throw the ball! Then at a shorter distance say 60 feet, you throw through the target like you were at 150 feet.

I am sure this is what you expected but it’s why we do it.

Yeah, i think what we’ve been doing is kind of like the jaegar throwing program. airing it out as the distance gets longer. than throwing on a line as it gets closer in order to get on top of the ball and get it going. it seems to work great. i just noticed that airing it out the ball can go a real long ways and wondered if that tied in to velocity

Look at the Jaeger throwing program on YouTube.

Obviously if you are airing it out at, say 300 feet, it takes more arm strength than throwing the ball 180 feet. Converting that improved arm strength to the mound is the trick. Some guys have an easy time of it, some dont. My sons pitching coach doesnt ever throw beyond 120 feet and throws in the mid 90’s. Ive watched Barry Zito warm up and throw beyond 300 ft, up to about 330 ft. We all know his struggle with maintaining FB velocity. So, while Im sure there is a formula (ft=speed) it isent that straight ahead and will vary greatly pitcher to pitcher. That said, I think longtoss is an important component of on overall fitness/arm health program, but, its not a magic bullet. My approach with my son is that it is about keeping your arm conditioned and healthy first. Do the work and the velocity will come.

It’s generally accepted that the farther you can throw (distance) the higher your velocity (speed). I think this is true to a point - but I do know LOTS of outfielders at the professional level that can throw it out of the park, yet couldn’t hit 90 mph w/ accuracy off a mound. So there is a difference!

If you’re throwing 5 to 6 times a week, try to have one or two days of long toss where you air it out. But, avoid “sky balls” as they have little to no benefit. On the other days, just work back to a comfortable distance twice the distance of the mound (~120 feet for high school kids, and ~90 feet for Little League kids).

This is the key. Many people can throw 90+, Joe Nathan as a SS blew absolute gas and still does as a Closer. The key that makes them a pitcher is their ability to hit their target. OF’ers that throw 90 have to do one thing, get the ball in as quick as possble, put them on the mound and say hit the glove, things naturally tone down. We see this out of pitchers with poor command, they start to tone it down to throw a strike and we yell out of the dugout, "trust your stuff,& Cut it loose, & quit guiding the ball."
That is what 90 MPH OF ers do when they become 85 MPH on the mound… they guide the ball.
Long toss increases intent, intent increases tempo, tempo increase velocity.
If you have intent, you don’t need long toss.
(Great sprinters work on speed by beating the clock. Like sprinters, pitchers who want to improve speed need to beat the radar.)
Radar guns monitor intent. No Radar gun? Long toss is a great way to monitor intent.

The key is preparation. If you are prepared for the stress, your body will elevate itself. Question how "freaks’ like Trevor Bauer throw the ball high in the air, long toss, lift weights, run distances and all this stuff and ask yourself what is required? Listening to people out there with limitations is only assuring yourself mediocrity. The great ones think great things and push themselves like no other. Because it falls outside the norm makes it a great thing to move towards. Being in the norm is…normal. Becoming great requires stepping out of the norm.

Things to incorporate into thought process to move forward from the better guys I have coached. (they didn’t come up with them, but they engrained them into their being,)
'To get to places you have never been, you have to do things you have never done."

“The definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.”

'Life is about risk vs reward. The greater the risk, the greater the reward."

Long toss is not a risk anymore than leaving your house knowing that most accidents occur within a three mile radius from your house. You prepare yourself in both cases and you will be fine. (Fear ceases all forward movement.)

Like this alot. Though I believe there is no difference in high or even bounced throws, as the body keeps the release and accomodates with posture changes.

I know there are different philosphies on long toss. I know some professional teams view long toss as a “strength building” exercise and they encourage the player to throw the ball as far as they can on a straight line getting to their partner on one hop once they are there they stop and bring it in.

Another view is that you use it to “massage” the arm and get the lactic acid out, and you are supposed to put an arc in it and the motion is nice and easy. Obviously you can scoot back further when you do this method, but you are not supposed to put a ton of effort into throwing the ball, its just a light workout for the arm.