Long toss vs pitching progress

I have just started pitching 1 year ago, and my long toss hasn’t improved much, I still throw only 200 ft no matter how hard I try. I do about 30 throws every 2-3 weeks.

On the mound I feel I’ve gotten much better timing and torque compared to last year, I feel like I’m significantly faster there than last year. I practice from the mound 1-2 times a week.

However I keep reading that any good pitcher can throw 300 ft easy, even if they don’t practice long toss. Is there much truth to that?

300ft is a football field give or take. I am 6’4" 230 and can throw 84-86 on a mound and cannot throw the length of a football field without a crow hop. If you can throw 300 feet without a crow hop you can throw 90mph off of a mound (assuming you have proper mechanics on a mound). 200ft is actually recommended for long toss I have many books and the pro long toss programs max out at 180, it all depends on who you talk to. If you see people throing 300ft with ease they have quite an arm.

You don’t need to throw 300 ft to be able to throw hard. That just shows the arm strength that a person has. Heck I only long toss to about 200-240 ft and throw 88-91 consistently. But another I would suggest is to throw more. Not necessarily go out everyday and long toss, but you should be throwing everyday for the most part. I mean if your only doing 30 throws every 2-3 weeks that is most likely why you haven’t seen much improvement. Your arm is not in the best of shape to be throwing 200+ ft. I would suggest up the amount of throws and bring down the distance for now.

long toss is good for developing good arm strength
so it should definitely be complimented by a good arm-band program

Thx for suggestions, never really thought of doing longtoss more often, because my arm is slightly sore from doing 60ft pitching, but I can probably throw some long toss at 70% effort every day, hopefully that won’t slow down my recovery time between bullpens.

Quality not quantity.

Don’t go out and do it everyday at 70%. You’d be better off doing it 2 or 3 times a week at the furthest distance you can comfortably throw.

And distance doesn’t really mean much. As Southern Smoke said, he only tosses 200-240 but throws 90, OTOH, I toss 250-260 consistently but don’t throw anywhere near 90. Probably more like high 70s possibly 80.

So don’t get caught up in distance, but if you do see gains in long toss, make sure you are doing the necessary adjustments to take it on the mound.

This is the perfect time for building arm strength - fall/winter. Agree with not getting caught up in distance instead focus on being able to keep your mechanics as good as they can be. You want to be able to hit the glove whether it is at 60’6" or 200 feet. You have to be careful when long-tossing not to add some “kinks” into your mechanics.

This is what I do - at least two days of long-toss per week, one day of flat ground throwing and one day of throwing from a mound. I have found that if I don’t flat ground or throw from a mound - my long-tossing adds some things into my delivery that are not helping me. Usually - it is related to pulling my arm across my body. If I am going to miss a workout day - it will be the throwing from the mound or the flat ground and not the long-toss.

In long-toss I start off at a pretty short distance and after five consecutive throws right to the glove of my partner I move back five feet. I keep increasing the distance - but I have to have five accurate throws before I increase the distance. I find this takes care of my warm-up and also forces me to stay closed with my front shoulder and extend my arm towards the target. As you get further from your throwing partner the five consecutive throws to the target gets harder. Right now I take it out to about 200 feet and can hit my target five consecutive times - sometimes it takes 12 or 15 throws to get five in a row - but that is one way I track how I am improving. Maybe this week I’ll be able to take it to 210.

Then I do the pull down phase where I come back in. This only takes two or three minutes and I am not as critical about hitting the target. After the pulldown phase I setup at 60’6" inches and throw three or four fb to my partner.

I don’t rush when doing this and long-tossing has been taking me about 25 to 30 minutes - but I do take breaks to pickup all the balls that I have overthrown (we use four balls - so after we have misfired on four throws we pick’em ups) - and to get a drink of water.