Long toss theories

so i wana know how you all throw long toss and what your gains have been. i usually throw a 275ft long toss but mostly aiming upwards to save my arm . but thinking about it and hearing what others say maybe it would be more benificial to throw say 110ft but try and throw a direct beam to the target with all of my power. i think the goal of long toss should be to strengthen arm and for the most part gain velocity. i wana sit 91-92 consistant coming back off my injury and wana know what you all do to increase velocity through long toss and the way you do it.

I would throw from 60ft away,4 reps. then throw from 90 feet away, 6 reps. then throw from 120 feet away, 8 reps. everything should be on flat ground. keep in mind you should also throw everything on a line as hard as you can. Also do some rotational core exercises because 80 percent of velocity comes from rotation. Hope this helps.

actually saying to throw hard with all your power on your long toss isnt really that true. you need to watch a video from jaeger sports on long toss. long toss shouldnt have a certain amount of reps and everything should be related to how your arm feels that day. youll see from this video how your long toss routine should be. hope this helps

Long tossing in my opinion is one of the most overlooked arm workouts out there. Also, I think a lot of people don’t know how to properly long toss either. When done properly on a consistent basis this can help your arm strength and endurance. This might not directly equal more velocity but you will be able to maintain your peak velocity longer. As for the long tossing itself the video above me gives a great example of what a proper long toss should be.

Also, on a side note when long tossing you don’t start firing bb’s right from the start, you gotta ease into it. It’s okay if your ball has a bit of a hump in it when you are stretching it out. When you start bringing it back in is when you start flattening it out and really cutting it loose.

rightyringer, the core and rotation is very important but it is alot less than 80% of velocity comes from rotation.

1 Like

I think NPA (Tom House) did a study that showed roughly 80% of velocity came from rotation. I read this study on the National Pitching Association website and it was pretty interesting.

Roger - did you read it? I hope I didn’t get it wrong.

I also recommend that Yeager method, that China guy was impressive. I can’t imagine someone going through HS as a pitcher and not utilizing this drill as a conditioning element…not the only element, but a piece of the pie for sure.

theres no way 80% comes from rotation, think about it can you only from 20% of your top speed by throwing with just your arm?

Try throwing a baseball without twisting or using your abs at all.

I disagree with 80% of velo since laying down i know i can throw a ball harder than 15.5 or whatever MPH.
Maybe 80% of your power.

Ha what do you mean throw a ball laying down?

[quote=“3and0”]I disagree with 80% of velo since laying down i know i can throw a ball harder than 15.5 or whatever MPH.
Maybe 80% of your power.[/quote]

Results from the NPA Study -

80% of a pitcher’s real velocity comes from rotational momentum if his kinematic (???) sequencing and energy translation are efficient. I think the study said something about torque being generated by hip and shoulder separation.

20% of a pitcher’s real velocity comes from linear momentum if his kinematic (???) sequencing and energy translation are efficient

I don’t know if he is wrong or right. I’m just telling you the results of the study performed by a guy with a PhD and enough equipment to get measurements so he could come up with measurable results.

Looked like a pretty good study included College, HS, and youth pitchers

i throw 80 mph. without rotating and just using my arm i can throw much harder than 16 mph, which would be 20%.

Completely dependent on the persons strengths and weaknesses in their mechanics. But no the average is about 80%. For me it’s even more than 80%. Just depends on how well you move without the restraint then with restraint. You can do so well in the restraint drill but if you can’t do the same without then it doesn’t matter.