Long Toss question?

Hey umm me and my friend are going to start a long toss question for 8 month and 5 days a week. Umm we read in another website that you can throw long toss with maximum strength to build up arm strength. His fastball like 65-70mph and mine is 80mph or somethin like that i was wonderin if umm we do it to like may when season starts how fast do you think our fastballs are going to be? would his be like in the 90s and would mine be in mid nineties or along their? we’ve both never had any training and we training to throw from a 60ft mound.

If long toss was that efficient, major league pitchers would be throwing 150 mph.

i neva said it was i just asked wut u think our velocities by the time we finish this training?

not much of a difference, maybe 1 mph, seriously man, long toss in ur words to gain mph is like slacking off, WORK, run 3 miles a day, do cardio, pitch 3-4 times a week

any ideas on how got our velocities to the highest possible before next april? and how fast you think our velocities will be by then after your suggested training.

ok, do a lot of running, i do 3-4 miles a day, then i do basic weights, curls, lotz of leg weights, then i have a pitching machine were i throw with a weight connected to it about 50 pitches a day, then i do a yoga type deal, 700 sit ups(crushers) 100 push ups, then just eat right, take protein shakes, and pitch with a ball and catcehr 3-4 times a week, thats my workouts and i picked up 8 mph in one offseason and am now throwin 88+ mph, thats a great workout

Tanner:

How in the world do you have enough time in a day to get all that done? lol

Have to compliment your work ethic either way.

And on the question, most of my answer can be summed up by looking at Mr. Ellis’s site http://www.completepitcher.com
He’s got a bunch of workout stuff, and then different mechanical tweaks

Good Luck

yea it takes a good time of my day, but go to a college baseball program site and look at their workout secions, most are 2-4 hours long, but yeah, it is very hard to get it all done, mainly its school, training, and then go chill with friends haha, but yeah, if you have time i guess that workout scheadule would be good

y would you run 3-4mile a day doesn’t that work the slow twitch fibres and as a pitcher you want fast twitch and how long was ur off season?

ok, running helps ur speed AND endurance, so that definatley helps, i have 3 offseason workouts, fall, winter, spring, then baseball starts in march and goes til august, so about a idk 6-7 month offseason

Hey Tanner…can you explain in more detail you comment…“then i have a pitching machine were i throw with a weight connected to it about 50 pitches a day” I’m curious as to the set up of this machine. Is it something that is or can be home made and set up in the garage?

Just curious.

Thanks

You must either have no life outside of baseball, or you have alot of time on your hands. Sound like a really nice workout though.

Seeing how as long toss is terribly inefficient, you may gain or lose 1 MPH. What you need to do, if you wish to gain velocity, is lower body exercises like squats and dead lifts.

Long toss is useful if you’re an outfielder who has to make those really long throws to the infield cutoff man or to home plate.
As for running, you’re better off doing wind sprints, because they activate those fast-twitch muscles that pitchers need. All that marathon running only serves to tire you out so that you have no energy left to do other necessary things. I used to do lots of wind sprints, and I did a lot of throwing—not pitching, just throwing, as in playing catch. But here’s the real key to a pitcher’s power—something I call “The Secret”.
You’ve probably noticed that most batters concentrate all their attention on the pitcher’s upper extremities, trying to zero in on a nice fat pitch they can blast out of the ballpark, across the street and into Aunt Minnie’s kitchen window and smack into the roast turkey on the table. What they don’t know is that it’s the lower half of the body that’s the key, so of course they pay no attention to it. I learned this a long time ago when I watched the Yankees’ Big Three pitchers and I saw what they were doing. They were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, creating a nonstop flow of energy all the way up through the shoulder and the arm, to the fingertips—and this was how they were generating more power in their pitches, with less effort (even Eddie Lopat who was not a fireballer). They also took a lot of pressure off said arm and shoulder. I realized that this was one way NOT to get a sore arm, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own. As I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I found that I was doing the same things the pitchers were doing, and although I wasn’t a fireballer either I could throw faster and harder, with less effort.
One good way to get the hips, and the whole lower half of the body, involved is something called the “Hershiser” drill which entails no special equipment, just a fence or a wall. And when you combine that with the wind sprints and lots of throwing, you’ll find yourself throwing harder—and faster, which is what you want, isn’t it? That, in a nutshell, is “The Secret”, and it will serve you well. :baseballpitcher:

Why is long toss terribly inefficient? Is it a magic pill to increase velo, No. But Long Toss is a useful exercise, especially when done correctly with a pull down phase.