Long toss question

Do you guys prefer more of the Jaeger style with the arced long toss and then the pull down phase (line drive phase) or do you guys strictly use the line drive phase? I play SS and I pitch so what should I use?

I personally have found Jaeger’s program to be very effective. The key is airing it out then pulling down correctly.

How is max effort on an arc better for pitchers than max effort on a line or from a mound? Please explain how throwing on a trajectory for max distance helps someone become a harder throwing pitcher than throwing on a true pitching trajectory. Please explain why throwing on many different trajectories through all the phases translates to being able to pitch faster than someone focused on developing efficient high velocity mechanics.

Reed,

What is your goal with your throwing program and long toss?

I think often times the debate is all about velocity improvement, but what about arm care, conditioning, etc. I can argue both sides of the fence on this one, but when it comes to any throwing program you need to understand your goals for doing it.

Because ASMI’s studies show that max distance long toss shows an increase in angular velocities in the arm, thus giving the athlete a progressively overloaded physiological stimulus?

Does this study compare angular velocities of a linear or flat max effort against the max distance trajectories or just against angular velocities of those who did not long toss? Does anyone know?

"Reed,

What is your goal with your throwing program and long toss?"

I want to increase my velocity, and improve my arm care/injury prevention.

Yes, it compares them.

I added the bold.

I disagree with Fleisig on his overall conclusion but the analysis of the data is there.

[quote=“Reed13harris”]"Reed,

What is your goal with your throwing program and long toss?"

I want to increase my velocity, and improve my arm care/injury prevention.[/quote]
Arm care and injury prevention starts in the weight room, not on the field.

Improving velocity starts in the weight room, not on the field.

However, Alan Jaeger long toss is an easy way to teach intent, which directly relates to velocity.

Reed,

With any throwing program there’s always more to the picture than just the throwing portion. It may be labeled as a “throwing progam” but really you need many parts to make the whole:

Dynamic Warm-up Band Work Throwing and Long Toss Post-Throwing Conditioning Mobility and Soft Tissue Work

None of these by themselves will make you throw harder or reduce the chance of injury. Each feeds off the other, and with the addition of a solid strength & conditioning program, can give you a great off-season game plan.