Long toss question

I was just wondering if anyone has tried the Jaeger program? I’m just curious if it is worth the investment.

The key to a long toss program is tailoring it to your individual needs. Hopefully, this link will make it a little more clear.

Great article thinktank.

Also there’s enough of his clips out there online that you can pretty much get the general understanding of his program without having to drop the coin.

What about his band work? I actually watched a youtube video of his program he did at a high school. The only thing I would be buying would be the bands.

IMO and from experience with my son, Jaeger’s program is a good one. I would also check out Steven or Kyle’s weighted ball program.

That being said, you should read the article posted by BBthinktank. Really good info in there.

My son and I went to a Jaeger camp and I have spoken to him several times. His program is good. Purchasing the bands ($30 or so) is something you should do for sure, when they arrive they should have a card in with the bands that shows all 11 exercises. You can find the exercises on line but it is nice to have the card with you at the field. The program my son is doing now is expanded out a little bit. Jaeger starts his routine with a light, short jog and a good deal of stretching. He places an emphasis on “active” stretching. In other words, more than sitting down and trying to touch your toes. He implements yoga to achieve this, but, there are plenty of good mobile warmup things you can find online. If you search through Eric Cresseys website you can find some great ones. In my experience, kids, espcially younger ones, just want to walk out and start throwing. The warm up part of the routine is the first part kids start skipping, then the bands. It is important to do any throwing program as a total, as it is intended. The one my son is doing now starts with a quick jog, then to a series of mobility warmups, then pre sprint work (karioke, butt kickers, high knees, heidens ect.), then a series of sprints, then a couple of sets of medicine ball throws…then longtoss. He doesnt want to start throwing until he has a good sweat going and is totally warm and loosened up. The main things to remember with the throwing is it is not a race or a contest. Longtoss is meant to build up distance over time, not quickly. More than likely you will see distances vary session to session. If a younger kid maxes out at 50 yards, then 3 days later is at 46 yards, fine. Take your time and enjoy the process. Over time the distances will improve. Also, very important to do the pulldown phases of the longtoss the right way. Throwing hard (as hard as the max distance throw) as you move back in is key. I have found this is another key area that younger guys lax on. They start to ease up on their throws because the target is closer. Really need to focus on throwing hard on the way back in and maintaining good form. Jaegers Thrive on Throwing DVD is not expensive and gives a good explaination of this and is worth the one time cost in my estimation. My son uses the arc throws going out and the hard flat throws coming back in. There are different ways to do it. But, at some point after the thrower is warm and loose they are going to need to throw hard.