Long Toss - Line vs Loop

Just another clip I placed on my YT account. Hope this brings about interaction and debate. Not earth shattering by any means, just simple thoughts for a not so confusing, but still confusing topic.
Hope everyone is well.

Oh no Fred…COMMON SENSE!!! We can’t be having no common sense now…
Nice representation in it’s most simple terms…thanks.

I also like to point out that lt isn’t the whole taco either, it is just a portion of pitcher developmental conditioning, it’s been almost hysterically represented in many forums, please share with us what percentage of your pitchers time is consumed here (In LT, in season and out of season)…and really it would be most helpful for you to, in a thumbnail, say how you do break down your pitchers conditioning by %, it would be very informative and very much appreciated.

Anybody ever tell you that you look like Clint Hurdle?
Count me as 1. :wink:

Very nice coach.

It really seems simple to me but lot’s of people seem to make this into some sort of voodoo magic or complicated training tool.

I submit…that the thing people seem to be missing in this whole concept of long toss, is that long toss is just a method of feedback for the player. A way to gauge your performance.

By feedback I’m talking about how far you throw the ball.

For instance. Each time you long toss you try to better your previous distance. Increasing the distance = arm strength. How do you know you’re getting faster…because you threw the ball further. After a while the body adapts to this (learns what effort is required to make a throw of certain distance) and thus creates a stronger, faster arm (i.e more velocity).

Just as in your example, the farther you throw the ball the faster your arm speed is (btw not only arm speed but angle of trajectory, wind altitude etc… effect ball travel) .

You gauge yourself by this distance (FEEDBACK)

You could accomplish the same thing by throwing the ball into a net and using a radar gun to tell you how fast you threw the ball. The radar gun is the feedback device in this example (not how many feet you threw the ball.

So that’s all long toss is…FEEDBACK.

Happy tossing! :lol:

I think there is also something to be said for the feedback you get when throwing outdoors even at a submaximal effort. When the arm action is “right,” even on 70 or 80% throws, you can clearly see/feel the ball jump out of your hand and follow its path to your partner’s glove.

I found that throwing into a net 10 feet away never really gave me that kind of feedback, so none of my throws besides the max effort ones were getting much feedback. You’re only going to get a couple hundred max effort throws a week if you’re lucky, but you can get far more feedback outdoors when every one of your throws can be visually tracked and evaluated.

This is not to say that throwing into a net with radar is always a bad idea, but it should ideally not be 100% of the throwing that you do. This was a mistake that I feel I made in the past. I improved more when I was just throwing and throwing and throwing 5-6 days a week outdoors while still working on my mechanics. No, you can’t tell 1mph difference in your throws, but when something is definitely off, you can see and feel the difference much easier than inside with a net.