Long Toss for 12 year olds.

My son plays on a 12U Baseball Team and his coach has him throwing 200 feet long toss. I am worried that this will hurt his arm. I was wondering when and how far should young kids start doing this?

When I watch the 15 Year old Team practice, two of their pitchers throw from foul pole to foul pole.

Just need some background on this.

Thank You

200 feet long toss??? that seems a little bit too much. At 12, i would think that 100-150 would be a long distance.

[quote=“thunderdevil”]My son plays on a 12U Baseball Team and his coach has him throwing 200 feet long toss. I am worried that this will hurt his arm. I was wondering when and how far should young kids start doing this?

When I watch the 15 Year old Team practice, two of their pitchers throw from foul pole to foul pole.

Just need some background on this.

Thank You[/quote]

Think of it this way, in what other sport or activity do you limit what your body does by some preset distance? Don’t put a ceiling on kid because of what you have heard. Kids don’t throw (I didn’t say pitch) enough these days. Your body will only move as fast as you make it. Setting a limit on the distance sets a limit on the body.

Let them throw.

In college, my long toss program was out to 300+ feet. Distance was only controlled by my ability to maintain form and posture.

I’m 12 and can do 300 foot 10 times without hurting my arm , I’m not that strong but a good arm path is key my bet is that he can do that too but once your arm gets tired you should stop