Long Toss before start?

Hi,

Why does the starting pitcher throw long toss before he throws in the bullpen?

I have all my kids run, stretch, throw, even long toss, then the catcher and pitcher takes
flyballs, and ground balls, then come back to the bench for 5 minutes then the pitcher and
catcher go to the outfield and throw long toss again then they both go to the bullpen so the
starting pitcher can warm up before the game.

I was just wondering why MLB pitchers do this?

Pitchers throw long toss to get their arm nice and warmed up and loosened up to begin pitching. They don’t do enough to tire themselves out, just enough to get loose.

I like to throw long toss to get everything loosened and stretched out right before I am going to pitch. I think it is a good idea to do so bcause it not only stretches youe arm but it gets the blood flowing in the legs too with the crow hop.

Long tossing makes the 60.5-foot distance seem much closer when you hop on the mound to take your warmup pitches. Two to 5 minutes is all you need.

http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=546&highlight=longtoss amazing what the search feature can do

I know some Rockies pitchers stand at the RF line and see who gets cloest to the LCF wall and look what they’ve done

[quote=“rockiesfan4ever”]I know some Rockies pitchers stand at the RF line and see who gets cloest to the LCF wall and look what they’ve done[/quote]they pitch in the hardest ballpark to pitch in, and long toss does help velocity, it stretches your arm out and all scouts have told me to do it

Get the closest to the wall?

Carlos Gomez of the Binghamton Mets goes OVER the wall, by quite a distance actually…he reaches the trainyard beyond leftfield.