Live Pitching Performance (Advice or Comments)

I just joined this forum.

My name is Adam Sowell and I am currently being paid to play for the Karlskoga Bats in the country of Sweden.

I’ve pitched through highschool, college, and had a short stint in independant ball.

I’m a good pitcher, but I feel that I can always be better. Below is a video I posted of my last pitching performance.

Its about a 5 minute clip of every pitch i threw from the 2nd inning through the 7th. 1st inning wasn’t there due to the camera starting late

Anyway, I just wanted to get any comments or advice. Sometimes I felt that batters were being tipped off on my pitches, maybe because of my catcher, or maybe because of different mechanics/motion of my offspeed

I throw 2-seam fast, early count curves, late count sliders and splitters.

Thanks

Alittle about this game, i threw 7 innings, complete game, we won 11-1, 10 run mercy rule.
I gave up 1 unearned run
0 BB, 6 hits, 3 K’s.

I like the 0 walks, but i would like to reduce the number of hits given up and increase my strikeouts.

This team we played against is one of the bottom teams in the league and I feel that I should be alittle more dominant against them.

PS: here is a link to the Swedish Elite Series, shows league stats, league leaders, ect http://heatstat.citymark.se/heatstat/
i’m under Adam Sowell i’m like 3rd in batting avg against… .the season is only about 7 games deep

i like those inside 2-seamers. you’re obviously not throwing a slider but more like a sidearm curve which makes it easy to pick up from a hitter. also unless you’ve switch your number during the game there is 2 pitchers in this video

all left handed hitters?

Dude, all of the hitters were number 17!

I think maybe the vid is of the pitcher when he’s hitting, not pitching. Just a guess. But why else would he show a bunch of at-bats of the same person (#17), each time the person hitting the ball pretty well? And if the vid shows the team at bat who lost 11-1, they left a whole bunch of guys on base. That #17 was up every tie, and he hit the ball every time! If it is you hitting BTW, you’re still dropping your back shoulder lol

If you were on the mound for those 8 AB’s, I’d say you have good 2-seam movement, but you really need to throw more inside and develop a good changeup. Your curve breaks, but it looked like the hitter was sitting offspeed because the pitcher really had no heater. And the hitter also seemed to know what pitch was coming at times…which may mean the pitcher was tipping his pitches.

Anyway, good luck and don’t feel too bad about an 11-1 win!

na i think its the wrong link

looking at his other youtube profiles i think this is the one he meant to send

Dude, all of the hitters were number 17!

I think maybe the vid is of the pitcher when he’s hitting, not pitching. Just a guess. But why else would he show a bunch of at-bats of the same person (#17), each time the person hitting the ball pretty well? And if the vid shows the team at bat who lost 11-1, they left a whole bunch of guys on base. That #17 was up every tie, and he hit the ball every time! If it is you hitting BTW, you’re still dropping your back shoulder lol

If you were on the mound for those 8 AB’s, I’d say you have good 2-seam movement, but you really need to throw more inside and develop a good changeup. Your curve breaks, but it looked like the hitter was sitting offspeed because the pitcher really had no heater. And the hitter also seemed to know what pitch was coming at times…which may mean the pitcher was tipping his pitches.

Anyway, good luck and don’t feel too bad about an 11-1 win![/quote]

oh man, you are right i’m #17

i posted the wrong video!!!

this is the pitching video!!

Please send your comments, Thanks!!

yep i called that

Yep, after re-reading my post, I must admit that you hit the nail on the head, Bower lol

Be that as it may, I have a couple of comments. I’m no expert, but maybe something you can gain from my observations:

You don’t work inside much. I didn’t watch every pitch, but I watched more than half and only saw one pitch inside. You work the outside well, but if you give up the inside, you won’t be able to K folks on a regular basis. The other team was sitting on that outside sinker, and they hit it pretty often. I’m thinking that it must have been hit weakly and/or to someone, but you need to work the inside if you want to start being more of a strike out pitcher. At least the threat of the inside stuff will help keep them off of your outside sinker (which is pretty good).

You also work the lower part of the K zone very well, but there are times when you have set up a hitter with low stuff, and then you climb the ladder, getting them to whiff on the high hard stuff. Your call of course, but I only saw you throw two pitches: a (good) curve and a (good) sinker…and you were very successful with it…but you asked about striking more guys out. Using all of the strike zone…and good pitches not in the strke zone…will up your K rate.

All in all I would call you a very effective pitcher, the 1 ER tells me all I really need to know.

Good luck and throw strikes!

You don’t work inside much. I didn’t watch every pitch, but I watched more than half and only saw one pitch inside. You work the outside well, but if you give up the inside, you won’t be able to K folks on a regular basis. The other team was sitting on that outside sinker, and they hit it pretty often. I’m thinking that it must have been hit weakly and/or to someone, but you need to work the inside if you want to start being more of a strike out pitcher. At least the threat of the inside stuff will help keep them off of your outside sinker (which is pretty good).

You also work the lower part of the K zone very well, but there are times when you have set up a hitter with low stuff, and then you climb the ladder, getting them to whiff on the high hard stuff. Your call of course, but I only saw you throw two pitches: a (good) curve and a (good) sinker…and you were very successful with it…but you asked about striking more guys out. Using all of the strike zone…and good pitches not in the strke zone…will up your K rate.
![/quote]

Thanks and I agree. I rarely came inside to the lefties. Lots of lefthanded hitters in Sweden too, over 70%. something to do with hockey at young ages.

In my next performance, i’ll come inside alot more to the lefthanders. I’ll also use curves and splitters in the dirt and work up in the zone with some 4 seamers sometimes as well.

[quote]

Thanks and I agree. I rarely came inside to the lefties. Lots of lefthanded hitters in Sweden too, over 70%. something to do with hockey at young ages.

In my next performance, i’ll come inside alot more to the lefthanders. I’ll also use curves and splitters in the dirt and work up in the zone with some 4 seamers sometimes as well.[/quote]

Watch out using your sinker on the inside to lefties. That pitch has the awful tendency to find too much plate, and that can put a big dent in your ERA. I’d consider setting up your 4 seamer inside with a sinker inside out of the zone or in the dirt. Keep working the sinker away when you need that DP ball, too.

Good luck!