Little leaguer 75?

i was watching the little league world series the other daya nd i was really impressed with how hard they were throwing. They were already throwing in the low 70. and last year some kid was consistently hitting 75-78. are they really throwing that hard or is it just the radar gun giving them an extra few mph?

Yeah, I touched on this in Jd’s Am I a monster thread.

I watched a kid hit 83 a couple times in his last batter. Wish I could remember what team, He was throwing some gas.

One thing that will play in this little league world series, and atleast the next few world series is the birthday rule change. (extra years seem to only make big development differences in “kid pitch”) I’m noticing a lot more kids listed at 13 already than usual, and since it’s only august 15th (old cutoff was 8/1) I think it’s safe to assume these kids cashed in a extra year of little league.

It does seem like they have to get a few mph boost or something, not just because of perception but because I don’t believe that 12 years olds are generally capable of hitting equivalent of a 103mph fastball. A twelve year old takes around twice as long to react to the pitch and swing than a major leaguer, yet they are getting the same or often even less reaction time.
Go figure, haha

I noticed that too that there is alot more thirteen yr olds playing because of rule change also ther only throwin from 45ft. I would hope a thirteen or twleve yr old can get there. we play at 54ft then again we don’t play little league, and I’m glad. pitchers don’t need to throw out of stretch, 200ft fences are you kidding me? 60ft bases yeah I hope he gunned over from short at that distance what an arm? we played those distances when were nine. Don’t get me wrong the kids have talent but my god back them up.

The age change was one of the most ridiculous things Little League has ever done and they’ve done a lot of stupid things. Those extra three months can make a world of difference in physical maturity. The winning teams will be the ones that have the most 13yo who have matured. Of course in the case of Curacao that may be the most 16yo who have matured.

This year’s Simi Valley team who was the best PONY 13yo team in the US was almost entirely 14yo playing their second year as 13yo due to the age change.

I will say that Simi Valley’s team playing in the 14yo PONY world series is almost entirely true 14yo with the exception of 1 player. Then again about 7 of the 13 aren’t from Simi Valley including 4 players from the 2004 LLWS team from Conejo Valley. When you add them to a strong core from Simi it makes for a very good team. All of that is entirely legit, unlike the 2004 LLWS team which wasn’t.

They are throwing that hard.

What you are seeing are guys who are early maturers. They are 12 or 13 years old, but have the bodies of 15 or 16 year-olds.

I doubt if many of them will pitch beyond high school (because their arms will be fried).

danny almonte baby!!! he throws heat now

Chris,
Do you mean players like Robert Stock who was an early maturer, throwing 79 as a relatively young 12yo in the Bronco WS? He only throws about 95 now as a 16yo rising senior. He may not pitch much beyond HS however. Not because his arm is fried but because he’s such a good hitter. Personally, I believe he’s been overused a bit and it will eventually cause some problems but I expect he’ll be resting the arm some this coming season with the chance for million plus payday or a full ride to a major college on the line. I know we’re hoping he doesn’t pitch much this coming year because I don’t think many of our HS players are going to be able to hit a 95 mph fastball when the pitcher also has a good curve and a decent change. At least when he’s hitting they have the option of walking him.

We’ve got another kid in the area who threw low to mid 70’s as a young 12yo and won the LLWS US championship. He was an early maturer and hasn’t grown that much since. He’s “only” throwing low to mid 80’s now as a young 14yo and rising freshman. No surprise that his PONY team is currently 2-0 in the PONY WS. His arm seems to be fine.

The early maturers often also have ligaments that mature early. The ones that tend to run into the arm problems more often are the ones with the live arms that didn’t mature early. They get overused also and their arms are less able to handle the loads.

You want to hear about abusing a pitcher? The 14yo pitcher for Washington in the PONY WS pitched a complete game on Sunday and then came back and pitched a complete game on Tuesday throwing about 60% or more curves. He went seven innings on Tuesday and only gave up a few hits but had a fair number of walks and a lot of strikeouts meaning his pitch count was up there. I’d guess he had a pitch count of around 100 pitches on Tuesday. My impression is that Washington is a relatively weak team that got in because they are the host city and that they’ve got one and only one legit pitcher. Their defense wasn’t very good and they struck out 18 times in 7 innings against a decent, but not overpowering pitcher (my light hitting travel team beat him last time we faced him at that same distance without one of our better hitters).

If Danny (Almonte) could keep his attitude in check he’d be ever further than he is…his gas is around mid-ninety’s.
Chris your generalization is what I was talking about in that am I a monster post, if we suppress the parents by making them think they are doing something bad, then they will learn bad habits/mech’s from someone who won’t feel bad about ruining a kid, I suggest that if we as parents act responsible our kids have a better chance at a good outcome. You may be more correct in this instance but we need to face up to these things and deal with them in the light. Sorta like do you want to teach your son how to hunt (Perhaps a more dangerous pursuit than throwing a curve or too fast at an early age) with a 12 gauge shotgun or do you want him to learn gun safety from some homey with a “9”? Thats really kinda the choices we face.

Almonte is mid 80’s maxing out high 80’s. He was a very good HS pitcher against younger players in a not overly strong region but he isn’t very projectable and wasn’t drafted as a result.

Sorry to mis-represent what I thought I heard on that ESPN piece where they followed him down to Fla. and then back to NY.

You may not have misrepresented the ESPN piece at all. I’m going on the basis of a lot of articles I’ve read. I’ve never seen any that said that Almonte was throwing 90. Doesn’t mean there aren’t any and doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened. The one thing you can be sure of is that MLB teams don’t think he’s projectable as a pitcher otherwise he would have been drafted.

Define “projectable”.

Likely to get better, either through increased velocity or improved pitching skills.

Typically pitchers who are still growing and have room to put on height and/or weight, tall pitchers with less than expected velocity for their height and pitchers with poor mechanics that reduce their velocity to below what someone their size would expect to achieve are considered projectable.

Almonte reportedly has good mechanics. He’s relatively old and not tall and skinny so his velocity is not likely to increase much if at all. In other words there’s very little chance he could ever improve enough to be effective in the big leagues, so he wasn’t drafted.

Since he isn’t projectable he’ll have to find a way to get his velocity up or find a way to prove he can win, for example by catching on with an independent league team, before the pros will give him a look.

There’s still a small chance some team could sign him as a free agent. A kid I played with was never drafted and made it to the big leagues. Of course he was tall, had a decent fastball and proved that he could win in college.

Thanks!

Haven’t been on in a while but I just saw a kid from New York against georgia (i think) and the New York pitcher was hitting 99 and 98 which seemed a little to hard to believe for me.

TS,
I think you’re confusing the speeds they get by multiplying by 60’6"/46’. The actual speeds are around 70 mph and they then say that the equivalent speed on a full size field would be 90+ mph. It is a measure of reaction time only and doesn’t have much to do with how hard the ball is to hit. I guarantee you that none of those kids making contact with a 70 mph fastball would come close to hitting a 95 mph fastball on a full size field.

the llws isn’t even baseball. It’s just some beast throwing fire from 46 feet, and then baserunners not taking leads and running around 60 foot basepaths. Kyle Carter, from Georgia shouldn’t be playing on those fields. None of those kids should be. They’re too big.

And you’re right- that reaction conversion thing is messed up because none of those kids would even touch mid 80s from 60 feet.

and some fences are as short as 220 ft which makes home runs as common as in a major league game