Little League Pitching

My 9yr son is a strong pitcher. Very accurate and throws hard. He plays in a very competitve league on a minors team and competes against 9,10, and 11’s. He has been very competitve but we are looking for some more strategy to his pitching.

He currently throws 4 and 2 seam fast balls with movement. He also throws a lob ball that is fun to watch. His true change up seems to be more of a weak fast ball that just helps the batters.

He wants some more advice on pitching to the stronger hitters. Current game plan consists of 1st pitch strikes priority number one. Catcher setting up dead center plate and throwing 4 seams. We keep the catcher centered until he has 1 strike and less than 3 balls. If he has less than 3 balls and 1 strike catcher sets on the edges.

The problem comes from the true hitters (2 or 3 on a team). They know he is accurate so they are not intimidated by the speed. They end up digging in and playing pepper more or less. It hasn’t hurt us yet - but they are hitting the ball hard more than he would like. A real short swing through the zone, kind of just dropping the bat head onto the ball.

We have tried working on the high fastball in practice, but he struggles keeping it up high enough. It just comes up to the belt instead. I tell him to throw it at the arm pits.

Working on a change up and it just ends up being a weak fastball. The lob came out of the change up work and has been very effective.

I believe in the KISS theory. Down the middle until you have 1 strike, on the edges until you have 3 balls than back into the middle.

Another thing a don’t quite understand. He gets very few swings on pitches outside of the strike zone. I watch a lot of LL, and these kids swing at bad pitches all the time. When he is pitching, the kids (good and bad hitters) seem to shrink the zone down. The bad hitters hardly swing at anything. It’s very hard for him to get kids to swing at his pitches off the plate.

Bad hitters, fill up the zone and get weak balls in play! Fastballs only!

As for the 3/4/5 hitters, well when they dig in, they gotta know the pitcher doesn’t mind coming inside. Pick the biggest, loudest hitter and pitch him inside after he digs in, brush him back. If he doesnt’ move back the next pitch then bean ball, I know that it really isn’t in the mentallity of pitchers these days and at 9, bit early, plus it’s league play…but “GET OFF MY PLATE” has to be implemented.

[quote=“buwhite”]Bad hitters, fill up the zone and get weak balls in play! Fastballs only!

As for the 3/4/5 hitters, well when they dig in, they gotta know the pitcher doesn’t mind coming inside. Pick the biggest, loudest hitter and pitch him inside after he digs in, brush him back. If he doesnt’ move back the next pitch then bean ball, I know that it really isn’t in the mentallity of pitchers these days and at 9, bit early, plus it’s league play…but “GET OFF MY PLATE” has to be implemented.[/quote]

i know it sounds mean yes, but its true, im 15 and i try and make every batter who steps in scared. if its a big hitter who looks really tough i like throwing curves at the batter that break to the strike zone, makes them look silly.
now beaning kids at ANY age… i dunno about that

I have moved hitters back since I was 12, some dont have it to do that but it really is effective and then I get the whole outside for me to live in.

Pitching inside really works.
It’s not always necessary to bean the batter,
just throw a hard fastball close enough to the batter
to make him want to back off.