Little League Elbow

hi, im a 13 year old pitcher who was being overused, and i have developed ; little league elbow. I wanted to know some treatment, other than rest and ice, that can get me back to throwing hard again. Thanks

Where is the pain, first of all?

Rest, Ice, some more rest, some more rest, visit to DR., some more rest, when pain is gone try to slowly get back to throwing after DR release.

And when you do get back to throwing, you might want to study some video clips of—yes, Mariano Rivera. Note how smooth and easy his windup and delivery are—and how, at the same time, how explosive as he releases the ball. They say, “less is more”, and he’s a perfect illustration of that. :slight_smile:

[quote=“DouglasPitcher”]Where is the pain, first of all?[/quote] Pain is on the middle of and inside of my elbow

Is there a Dr. visit in your future? Could be anything from just a little tendonitis to a tear.

Alright, schedule an appointment with your doctor. Dont throw until you go see him/her. From what you’ve described is an injury similar if not the exact one i had, which was a ligament tear/bone fracture.

Could also be a growth plate injury since their’s pain in the middle of the elbow. Don’t assume it’s just one thing wrong. Definitely see a doctor - preferably a sports med doctor or orthopedist.

Oh yea…growth plate, that would be the worst. A seperation of the growth plate can be extremely serious and what the AMA articles have been about with youth pitching in the last few years. Again, DR.'s visit would be top of the list.

[quote=“buwhite”]Oh yea…growth plate, that would be the worst. A seperation of the growth plate can be extremely serious and what the AMA articles have been about with youth pitching in the last few years. Again, DR.'s visit would be top of the list.[/quote]pain is not excruciating, so i dont know if growth plate separation is extremely painful, but the pain isn’t terrible

There are different grades of growth plate injuries. (Google “Salter Harris” as that is the name of the scale.) Pitchers often pitch through lower grade growth plate injuries - for a while. Then they often become too painful.

Most elbow injuries are due to a problem with your shoulder. I would see an orthopedist or at a minimum see a physical thereapist that looks at pitchers.
In the mean time I would do 2 things:

1. Search on sleeper stretches to loosen up the back of your shoulder and also blackburn exercises which will strengthen the muscles around your shoulder blades.
  2. The latest Athletic Pitcher form Wolforth has a couple of good throwing drills that may help. One teaches proper pronation after release and the other helps to ensure that your arm is not getting trapped behind you while throwing.