Linus

I would really like to get the boards view on this topic. We have kid on my sons team who I will call Linus. In this league guys can be 16-19. Linus us 15 and “playing up.” He has been with this team for most of his “Little League” life.

Linus is very small for his age and extremely weak. He can not swing a league regular bat (-3). Yesterday it was 95 degrees in the Nati and Linus fainted. The opposing catcher caught him before he hit the ground.

I am really afraid that this boy is going to be severely injured because he is playing this game with guys 3 years older than he is age wise, but maybe 5 years baseball wise. His reaction time is horrible both physicially and thought processing speed.

I am just a dad on this team, no coach capacity. Linus loves baseball, he comes to all practices, cheers his teamates and is a nice kid. I dont care if he makes outs and bad plays (well I did but have gotten over it). This is soley about his safety.

I would love to see him play down, so he can enjoy it more,anmd so the injury factor is not so great. His dad is a good baseball guy and knows the game.

Well gentlemen any ideas?

Ian

Why is he there?
Who put him on the squad?
Is he playing or occasionally seeing a PH or defensive opportunity, or is he taking someones spot? As far as suggestions…sheesh that is a toughie…Is this The Midland Skins? I would think not…but if it is…well just the quality of the team means stay put and bite the bullet but if this is the coaches buddy getting a kid in a spot he shouldn’t be at, I’d have serious concerns…but really not much you can be doing except leaving.

Is the league a competitive league?
Is he the coach’s son?

Ian,

Based on what you have described, the only positive for Linus to be on that team is his tenure with the team and any friendships he may have established there. The safety issue is a definite concern. So is playing time. You obviously recognize the issues. But, while you may have your concerns, it isn’t necessarily your job to deal with this. I used to feel an obligation to help every kid I saw that had poor pitching mechanics. I have since learned that I can’t save the world and sometimes I can stick my nose where it isn’t wanted. My suggestion is to evaluate the situation carefully before getting involved.

Linus is very small for his age and extremely weak. He can not swing a league regular bat (-3). Yesterday it was 95 degrees in the Nati and Linus fainted. The opposing catcher caught him before he hit the ground.

A club that I was on had bat boys… two to be exact. The kids were a very nice addition to the compliment of the club. In addtion, they both had limitations due to their age and lack of maturity. And when they ran out to the field to do their thing… the crowd would go…“Ahhhhhhhhhhh…”.

It was cute… all warm and fuzzy… got a lot of good press… right up until a shot was drilled foul into our dugout, struck one of the kids smack in the bottom of the jaw, fractured it in serveral places, knocking him squarely into the concrete dugout wall. the kid spent the next five years (I was told) with reconstructive surgery, a miserable quality of life during that time, and emotional problems that I’m sure linger to this very day.

The club ended up avoiding legal matters due to certain conditions…three players, myself and two other coaches who tried to help the kid avoided legal matters due to certain legal matters, the chief umpire and his crew avoided legall matters due to certain considerations, the club, league and it’s officals got terrible press for the next three years… and still would have if they still existed.

Look, the bottom line here is… kids depend on adults to think for them… not with them. A coach’s role is that first and foremost. Doing a kid a favor by letting him or her “being in there”… for the sake of experiencing life just like all the other kids … has it’s limits. In the case that I just outlined above… since every other team had bat boys… why not ours… was great… right up until the selection process and the decisions that were made after that.

From the sounds of it, you have little or nothing to do with the club’s management, and the day to day functions of its operation. And from the sounds of it, your consern it honest as it is sincere. It’s a shame that’s as far as it goes. I say this because this kid’s parents, legal guardians, or “others” have little or no honesty or sincere interest in the boy’s quality of life issues that you have. What’s even more disturbing… from a coaching standpoint… is that the adults that COACH THIS CLUB share the same lack of quality of life issues for this boy… AND THE REST OF THE KIDS TO BOOT. If you have a son, daughter, or relative on this club… I would seriously consider how THEIR playing environment is conducted.

I know doing the right thing is never easy… and I know courage is a thing that a lot of us preach to our kids… but at the same time as adults we’d just rather not get involved in certain matters. This situation … I’m sure… is a lot more in the experainces than in the read here… so you’ll have to follow your heart on this one. And by the sounds of it… this kid is looking for someone with heart…

Coach Baker…

If " His dad is a good baseball guy and knows the game" then how is it that he doesn’t recognize his boy is in potential harm’s way? Based on the information you provide it is a disservice to Linus and the team to let him continue to play above his head. It also id a disservice to another kid whose spot is taken by Linus.

How does dad feel about Linus playing “up?”

kids need to learn for them selves

adamsmith44… anybody ever let you grab a hot frying pan??

Coach B.

Coach B., I agree with you 110%. This kid is way out of his league, and if you ask me he has no business sticking his neck out the way he has been. One of these days he’s going to get his throat cut, and that’s no joke. What he should be doing is building up his strength and just growing—unless his small stature is a genetic thing. :dismay:

This team started as a high rec ball team. It is now in a league where all the other teams are select. Most of the teams are made up of guys that played JV (16 year olds) and select players that could not get on their school teams ( but school teams in the Nati are extremely hard to make, still have 85 guys try out for 15 spots, one HS had 75 guys try out for the freshman team alone-they did 3 cut downs!). So the skill level is really high. The olders guys are preparing to “walk on somewhere” so the competition is really fierce.

Linus is grand-fathered in. He seems OK in the field (he plays 2nd), its when he bats that I get really nervous. I watched one of my son buddies play in the league down a few days ago. This seems Linus’s speed.

It is interesting that the guys cheer really hard for Linus. They know he will walk or strike out, a foul ball is a major accomplishement. A couple of games ago there was an opposing pitcher who after he blew him away twice, lobbed the ball in to let Linus have a chance to hit the ball ( kind of like a dad would a son). It was neat to see, kind of reaffirms your faith in people.

Having no official capacity with this team, not much I can do. Its not my place to tell his parents anything, nor to dampen his love for the game. I just say a little prayer every time he comes up, and hope they pitch him away. Ian.

Having no official capacity with this team, not much I can do. Its not my place to tell his parents anything, nor to dampen his love for the game. I just say a little prayer every time he comes up, and hope they pitch him away. Ian.

I sincerely appreciate your your contribution here… and I understand totally the situation.

One of the great things about this web site is its ability to serve as a sounding board for things and situations that are worth talking about, regardless of the control or lack thereof in the experince(s).

I read a lot of compassion, in and between, the lines of your recent posts. ANY youngster… regardles of the level of competition, would do well as a life experince to have you as a coach… ANY LEVEL OF COMPETITION.

If your not coaching youth baseball now, please consider it in the futrue. The game needs men of your quality.

Coach B.

:applause:

Hey -Linus got a hit! A softliner over third-the bench erupted in cheers. He made some plays at 2nd as well. His Dad has been working with him a lot. He did about pass out again at the end of a double header but felt it coming on and tok himslef out of the game-he is a good teamate no matter what his playing ablity-Huzzah for Linus!