Lining Your Knuckles

Most coaches and players preach about lining up your knocker knuckles when you bat. However, I noticed in a picture today that Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, and Mickey Mantel never lined up their knuckles, and they’re some of the greatest hitters of all time. What do you guys think?

I must say i was actually wondering that myself. I’ve always been taught that way but in some pictures in the paper or even on tv i seem to see a lot of the players not lining up. I’m really curious to what everyone else has to say about this.

Ya my coach says the same thing but I never do it. It just donst really seem very natural to do it. Also not sure if it would do much cause me and my friend both have over .500 batting avarage and we dont do it.

Well almost every coach tells me this, and the camp I go to where there are pro coaches who know what they’re talking about told me to do this. In this place I go in the winter we have 5 stations 3 hitting. I was in the 1st hitting with tees and soft-toss and other small things the coach said to me to line up my knuckles. I did and I listened and he said okay, this will feel weird for a while but trust me it’s something you should do. So I did it went into the next station the batting cage and every single ball I took in there I missed. Flat out missed. I’m like ugh this isn’t good. I went into the next cage after that, and after a lot of criticism from my younger brother went in and to my surprise, I was crushing the ball, crushing it like never before. Every single pitch that came in I ripped up the middle or pulled it. I was 14 at the time and we had kids going there all the way up to age 18 so the machines come in fast and I’ve always had trouble getting around.

I’m not saying this will work for everyone but it really, really worked for me.

Well, if it worked for you… I’m not trying to say anything against it. If it works, then use it. I just thought it was ironic that some of the all-time greatest didn’t do it. I wonder if our coaches would try to change anything about Hank Aaron’s form. :smiley:

It’s always taught that you should line up your knuckles but, (as i read somewhere recently but i can’t remember) they don’t really have to be perfectly aligned, just relatively close.

I think it’s something everyone should try for a little and if it doesn’t work then you can modify it a bit.

This is one of those things where if it works for you, then it works for you. Me? I hit a hell of a lot better when I started lining my knuckles up, granted I made several changes with that, but it works for me. It’s never comfortable to do the first few times, but not lining them up felt worse.

Some people like to have their pinkie under the handle of the bat when they swing, most don’t, but if it works, then that’s what you need to do.

Agreed. Something you got to try if it works it works, if it doesn’t it doesn’t.

Most coaches tell younger people to do this because your fingers are stronger than your hands are, thus controlling the bat is easier. Also, if you look at most great contact hitters in MLB, namely Ichiro and Ted Williams, you’ll notice they do that. Most players in high school or below aren’t expected to hit for power, so coaches focus on a quick bat and control of your swing. For this, I use this technique.

I say lining your knuckles is essential because when you hit the ball the higher hand should have the palm facing up.

I teach that you should take a bat in both hands in front of you like you would be choping/spliting wood this should be your grip, so if you are at the point of impact you will have palm up palm down. if you line up the knuckles it will take out the use of your forarms. and leverage…

with a ball sitting on a batting tee. take a slow motion swing and stop the bat right behind the ball. if the back of your lead hand is facing directly up to the sky, and the palm of your top hand is facing directly up to the sky, it doesn’t matter. as long as you can get the head of the bat to the ball in this position, you are in good shape. the front arm should be extremely close to straight and locked out at contact, and the back arm elbow still at approximately 90’ close to the body. this produces a nise position for leverage.

Very few ML hitters actually line up their door knocker knuckles.