Lincecums mechanics

hello. i havent been getting the most speed out of my arm that i know i have. so i have been thinking about trying tim lincecums pitching mechanics on for a try. but i just want to hear some peoples thoughts about it, like whether or not he has good mechanics for my to try and duplicate.

To me, I think Lincecum has great mechanics. Mechanics are not written in stone, but I do believe that there are key points to mechanics that if you hit them all, you will be fine. But I am incredibly biased as I absolutely love Tim Lincecum.

oh, and be careful if you do try to copy his mechanics as it can be easy to stray and then you would be walking into dangerous territory, but that goes with all pitching mechanics.

But I would say just follow the keypoints of the mechanics you know, and find what is most comfortable for you. Here is a good video about a scouts view on lincecums mechanics, kind of a food-for-thought video.

Another great video’s about his mechanics:

(In this one the master himself talks about his mechanics)

but I agree with the movie by Paul…
By copying Lincecum you’re not gonna stand out unless you truly are superman… Just take his mechanics, find those things your really like (for example: The LOOOOOOOOOOONG step towards the plate) but DON’T be afraid to adjust things to your specific preferences.
You are your best guide on what mechanics feel right or wrong so follow your own instinct and develop your own style!

Nice vids. Speed is an intent thing as much as it’s a mechanical thing. In other words, you’ve got to have intent to throw hard to actually do so… Can you post some video of your motion?

There are certain elements of Lincecum’s delivery that are definitely worth copying. But copying his delivery in its entiretly only make sense if you have his strength, flexibility, etc. - in other words, it’s probably not appropriate.

I honestly think copying someones mechanics is not a good thing. Tim Lincecums mechanics were developed by him for him. They work for him because that is how he comfortably transformed the traditional pitching mechanics to be tailored to him to deliver a maximum velocity that his body can endure/allow.

What i say is start with the basic how to with pitching mechanics. Watch now your body translates that. Keep the components of those mechanics that work, modify the pieces that don’t. Keep on tweaking until you have your own smooth mechanics that give you your bodies maximum velocity/control. I think that nobody can tell you that something is wrong with your windup. Its your body and you know it best. Your the only one it talks to and your the only one that can listen to it.

That is where i am. I took the text book mechanics and drilled them into my head and body until they were just a reflex. Now i am slowly letting my body change what it tells me it wants to change. If it turns out to be an unhealthy or negative effect then i can it and revert back to the original.

I am sure Lincecums mechanics took years to perfect.

[quote=“MrDarden”]
That is where i am. I took the text book mechanics and drilled them into my head and body until they were just a reflex. Now i am slowly letting my body change what it tells me it wants to change. If it turns out to be an unhealthy or negative effect then i can it and revert back to the original.

I am sure Lincecums mechanics took years to perfect.[/quote]

I’m sure you will… revert back to the original that is.

It is a mistake to think that you can “re-make” your throwing mechanics in a few weeks… or months. Maybe years… probably not less.

You can look at any of the motor learning studies that are out there that show how movements are developed and how they are “ingrained” into “muscle memory”.

It takes literally thousands of reps - quality reps - to allow your nervous system to “learn” a new movement.

Tens of thousands of these same quality reps to re-learn or change a movement (i.e mechanics).

Yea I wouldnt be intentional in copying someones mechanics. They WILL NOT work the same for you. You may even throw slower. There is no such thing as a set of rules that are good for everyone. You cannot say Tim throws hard because of his mechanics. He throws hard because his body agrees with his mechanics. For example, If I tried his mechanics, my arm would fall off because I am naturally a side to low 3/4 type of person. I literally cannot throw over the top. It kills my arm and slows my entire body down. So i would say just fix your mechanics, dont completely scratch them and start over.

thanks for all of the responses. this is a video of the mechanics that i have now. could someone maybe give me some tips to get more velocity and control?
Explore Richard Anaya

Well i watched your video. I am hesitant to post anything because ive been out of the pitching game for so long. Take what i say lightly if at all.

Your swinging your leg out and then planting your foot where your toes are pointing outward which is causing your front knee to buckle and your hips to turn to soon. That is the only thing that i see right off the bat.