Lincecum

Is anyone else tired of Lincecum being used as an example?

Im glad that works for him, but does anyone really think by repilcating his motion they will be able to throw likes he does?

If Lincecum decided to throw like Koufax, he would still throw as hard and probably be just as effective.

Maybe all my pitchers should grow thier hair out too.

Mark Prior had come of the best mechanics Ive ever seen. Where is he at again??

Last I heard about Prior was he made it into 11 games in the minors for the Yankees got as high as trips for one game mostly played FSL and GCL was hurt for a portion of the year and now is a FA so another team will pick him up and try and fix him again.

[quote=“jhanson”]Is anyone else tired of Lincecum being used as an example?

Im glad that works for him, but does anyone really think by repilcating his motion they will be able to throw likes he does?

If Lincecum decided to throw like Koufax, he would still throw as hard and probably be just as effective.

Maybe all my pitchers should grow thier hair out too.

Mark Prior had come of the best mechanics Ive ever seen. Where is he at again??[/quote]

Replicating certain aspects of professional pitchers mechanics can help. Some parts of his mechanics may be hard to incorporate for some, but if you could copy certain aspects (good momentum, good timing, etc) you can improve.
Basically, nobody on this board is guaranteeing that anyone will be able to throw 95+ even if they have great mechanics, eat right, and do good workouts. But it’s naive to think that you can’t improve your own ability by tweaking your mechanics, eat right, and do good workouts.

Ya know…I asked Paul Nyman about his using TL as an example…his answer was valid and I really understand the point…which was that he (TL)exemplifies several of the charactoristics of players who do manifest those extremely top level mechs…the scap load, the extended stride, the high intent…so there are several examples bound in one guy…who shows that a slight guy with those aspects CAN get to the pinnacle…I couldn’t argue that point…not a bit. I would however caveat…a kid who decides to integrate those aspects had better have a solid handle on arm health and maintenance methods…AND be in top physical shape before attempting an emulation of a pitcher of that caliber, using those techniques.

I recently had two students that told me they want to throw like TL. Crazy! Another pitcher was recently watching me instruct and told me “tim lincecum doesn’t do that” funny what kids pick up.

That’s because articles about Lincecum usually refer to how his motion was concocted by his father, how he doesn’t train extensively, or similar.

He takes being in MLB and performing well to a new, cooler level.

The lesson we should all learn from Tim Lincecum and Trevor Bauer is that listening to “orthodox” people saying they will hurt their arms or will never make it is worthless.

You may not remember, but for years people said Tim was a walking injury risk and he wasn’t that good of a pitcher at UW. The same went for Bauer while he was in HS and even at UCLA.

Baseball is slow to change. Get ahead of the curve. As Wolforth himself says, if you do what everyone else does, you get what everyone else gets. Be better than that.

[quote=“kyleb”]The lesson we should all learn from Tim Lincecum and Trevor Bauer is that listening to “orthodox” people saying they will hurt their arms or will never make it is worthless.

You may not remember, but for years people said Tim was a walking injury risk and he wasn’t that good of a pitcher at UW. The same went for Bauer while he was in HS and even at UCLA.

Baseball is slow to change. Get ahead of the curve. As Wolforth himself says, if you do what everyone else does, you get what everyone else gets. Be better than that.[/quote]

My son was throwing a bullpen and his mechanics are similar to Bauers’s. A major league scout was watching another pitcher and noticed him saying he had talent but he needs to slow down and use less leg drive. My son was devastated as he is only 5’10 and 160 pounds and needs to use his whole body in order to get his velocity into the mid 80s.
I told this to someone who is friends with Trevor Bauer and Trevor sent my son an email telling him to stick to his guns. Do what he know is right.Listen to coach’s suggestions but ultimately it is YOUR career and if you don’t make it,they will find somebody else. (He also told him he liked his intent and he would tell him not toslow down.)

My son decided to do it his way and ignore the scout’s advice. The scout later saw him and made the suggestion again. My son stood up for himself and told him what Bauer had said. To the scout’s credit, he contacted some people that knew Bauer and verified what my son told him was true. He came an apologized for being stubborn and my son and scout spent over an hour breaking down and talking mechanics.

That’s really great news. :slight_smile:

And really cool…your boy won’t ever forget the moment. 8)

That’s awesome that he reached out to your son.

Hopefully it continues to go well for him

Interesting, in all of my years of pitching instruction I have recieved, I have been told to stay away from emulating lincecum. One of my coaches got to work with him for a short time a while back and said he has the athleticism/ dynamic balance of a world class gymnast. Just about every one of my coaches have stated they’ve seen a trmendous porportion of their students regress with their mechanics because they tried to emulate him.

After I took a year off from baseball and came back, emulating his motion definitely helped me find a significant increase in velocity. since then I have taken a few peices from his mechanics and used them, but I find his leg lift is completely detrimental to my motion, and makes me fall way too far off towards first on my follow through.

Cheers

Just a thought but isn’t it like when back in the '50s and '60s kids would emulate Mantle now obviously in today day and age the instruction has improved but basically isn’t it the same thing kids and instructors want to be the best so they mimic the best, afterall imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Just my thoughts

When I talk to some coaches and instructors about who to emulate in the pros some tell me none at all and to look at what lower level players are
doing because pros are “freaks of nature”. If you don’t emulate the best how are you supposed to be the best?

I don’t think kids should be trying to copy professionals hitting or throwing motions. Every person is unique and will throw or hit the ball slightly differently. There are aspects that of things you can look at. Like leg lift, hip/should separation, etc. Or for hitting see how each guy loads and what he looks like at contact.

I think that every pitcher and hitter has a unique motion that is built in to their genes. The key is finding that motion and maximizing it’s potential.

I do believe that analyzing how professionals do it is one of the great tools to getting better.

Just my thought on the matter.