Lincecum pitching mechanics explained by the master himself

Give your thought about this video!

It’s good! A lot of what he does comes so naturally to him, that you can tell he had a tough time getting real technical about describing his delivery. At this point in his career, it’s automatic!

tony posted this link in GD earlier today. But like i said. Great video. Great info. good find

I think he and his dad devised some verbal and mental watchpoints and that Tim really believes in them. I think they may not be Mike Marshall style anatomically descriptive, but what old coaches have used for eternity to get a guy to be able to throw efficiently through cueing a certain thought in the brain…it’s really where terms that are often discredited…like “staying tall” and “staying on top of it” and really any number of old phrases come from. This is the language of verbally teaching…most guys would never “get” to set your maxilllary blah blah with the ucl pronated accordingly…but understand…“you’re not getting you’re arm to power position correctly” (Shakey analogy but I’m just sayin).
This is the thing I take away from TL…he and his dad devised the best working strategy for his body type and physical make up and Tim sold out to it…looks to me like it’s paying off. To me it says his dad really understands “how” to teach, at least on a personal level, I have no idea on how those cues and nuances would translate from him in a mass media or multi-media type way.

I found it very interesting, the way Lincecum talks about the high leg kick—Juan Marichal before him, and even before that there was Bob Feller who had it—and how it can be used to establish and maintain a good rhythm, and how it helped him with regard to throwing “over the top”. While I don’t advocate trying to copy his mechanics—they are uniquely his—I would certainly say that a pitcher should take his or her body type into account and work with it, not against it as so many misguided coaches tend to do. I remember how I pitched—I was a 5’4", 125-pound shrimp, and I had a natural sidearm delivery, and I worked with that, and it certainly worked for me. If that’s “old school”—individualizing one’s approach and tailoring one’s mechanics to things like that—I’m all for it, believe me. 8)