Lil woggy freshman

heres a clip from last year

a clip from last year pick off

any comments good or bad?

you need to work on your legs

(such as stride, followthrough phase)

[quote=“hydejing”]you need to work on your legs

(such as stride, followthrough phase)[/quote]

be specific…the kids 105 lbs here his stride imo is good…he doesnt step and throw gets bottom coil…what do u think specifically is wrong?

this kid NEVER had a sore arm ever…

Biggest thing is you need to get a tripod.

Next this angle isn’t great for analysis, but very quickly it appears his arm action is decent, but he comes out of his “sit” very early as he moves out so he doesn’t get much out of his lower half at all.

Try doing a drill like this for a while:

Go through a couple times just like this, then on the third time through…throw the crap out of the ball.

Repeat as necessary until college offers come. 8)

The one thing I notice is that he’s not completing his pitches—on the follow-through he pulls his arm back, and that makes for a sloppy delivery. He needs to work on that. Also, he has to really get his whole body into the action instead of just throwing with the arm and the shoulder—he needs to learn to drive off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion so as to generate more power behind his pitches. I learned to do this many years ago by watching the Yankees’ Big Three rotation, seeing just how they did it, and making a note of it and working on it on my own.
The drill shown on the last clip is a version of something called the “Hershiser drill” which aims at getting the hips fully involved in the action, and that’s a good one to work on. 8)

see how lower his front leg is , anywya this is just exmaple, not forcing anyone to lower their front leg like nolan ryan, tom seaver etc

but this will definitely helps with their followthrough phase

look closely how he finish with his back flat and body balance is stable

A few comments:

(1) Suggest eliminating the weight shift towards 2B when going into knee lift by narrowing the feet in the set position.

(2) Would prefer to eliminate the posture change (i.e. head movement) at the beginning of the stride. Looks like he sits quite a bit and his head moves towards 2B and/or SS. Maybe a bit more bend in the knees and waist will put him in a more athletic position to stabilize posture getting everything going towards the target.

(3) Would like to see more hip and shoulder separation and delayed shoulder rotation to produce late shoulder rotation. A starting point to allow this to happen is to get the glove arm to an “equal and opposite” position with the throwing arm. This means equal angles at the elbow but not much more. Change the glove arm - not the throwing arm. The time it takes him to extend the glove further out front will buy him the timing to keep the shoulders closed longer and rotate later. The closer to front foot contact he can maintain “equal and opposite” the better.

this is from this year,sorry about the cameras shake BUt i am shooting thru a chain link fence too…this is the only clip I got of him this year unfortunately… He came in to "close"
and pitched about 16 innings ,his whip was 1.83 with an era under 2.00 if I recall…

he has put on about 25 to 30 lbs and about 4 to to 5 inches.

thanks for the comments EVERYONE…do you see any difference from last year?

notice how his front leg firms up and accepts the rotation and forward movement? comments?

Tough to see much in that video but I think I see enough to say item (3) in my previous post still applies.

I think his front arm mirrors his back arm ,his front arm points directly at his target while his back arm is back…where do you see a problem with front arm glove?

how do you post stills?

I think it’s more the timing that the positioning. If, after extending the glove out front, he turns the glove before foot plant, that can lead to early shoulder rotation. It’s a little tough to see in your first video because you can’t really see foot plant. And I can’t stop and go frame by frame.

The ultimate goal is to delay shoulder rotation long enough to allow full hip rotation before the shoulders rotate. Getting the glove arm to “equal and opposite” as close to foot plant as possible is one technique. I use this technique and have had success with it. But if you have some other technique that achieves the same goal then go for it. Just make sure you share it with us. :wink:

Wog- The first thing you must work on is your back leg, ypu sits on it but as you gets to footplant you get a linear push. This leads to you basically pushing with the lower half instead of using the legs and hips as part of the kinetic whip. Notice how your head goes down and then forward and up. What you want is just forward Work on sitting into footplant, then have him fire his knee down and in. Watch how Nolan Ryan sits into footplant and then drives his knee in which begins his hips firing. This is what your ultimate goal is

http://www.letstalkpitching.com/images/nolan_ryan_closed_side.gif

[quote=“Priceless”]Wog- The first thing you must work on is your back leg, ypu sits on it but as you gets to footplant you get a linear push. This leads to you basically pushing with the lower half instead of using the legs and hips as part of the kinetic whip. Notice how your head goes down and then forward and up. What you want is just forward Work on sitting into footplant, then have him fire his knee down and in. Watch how Nolan Ryan sits into footplant and then drives his knee in which begins his hips firing. This is what your ultimate goal is

http://www.letstalkpitching.com/images/nolan_ryan_closed_side.gif[/quote]

Thanks for that advice.I will try to get him to sit more during his forward move this year.I believe MY cues may be causing him to go linear,I try to tell him to reach for the catchers mit in order to get him to stride longer this may be causing him to push instead of sitting.I would also appreciate some tips on getting some more movement on his two seemer.he has an over the top delivery and could use some more movement or possibly another pitch…{sinker} 2 seam with drop??He has a great curve which he locates incredibly well and a very good change up that seems to get better in the later innings.Any tips would be appreciated as always Thanks everyone

I would like to see him keep eye contact with the target, at his post he has lost the catcher and then picks him up again during his movement forward, this can impact location typically to the left.

hes not really using his back leg, he needs to stride farther, you can see in the videos his leg snaps straight, he’s not getting any brace, his lead leg should be at an angle. if hes already throwing 80, using his legs should bump him up quickly.

his lead leg shouldnt straighten??? never ever heard that before

Well my pitching coach suggests to “step on eggs” when landing, meaning dont step down heavy, put your foot down softly vs stomp it down and its hard to do that on a straight knee, flexing it just a bit helps create an athletic landing.

Any feedback after a couple of years later?

he hit 84 sophomore year and has not put on any top end this year.His cruising speed is higher and more consistent at 81 -82.We have not done any weighted ball work this year.Last Fall he tried throwing a baseball after his golf season and almost jumped through the roof with pain.He was diadnosed with “golphers elbow” so I though it would be best not to take a chance throwing weighted anything.Just happy he’s able to play this year.

It seems he gets suprising speed when he uses his slide step.I am concerned that he is over rotating his lower half in the windup??
I would like some suggestions to gain some mph’s asap. any input on an immediate “boost” since junior showcase time is comming soon.Thanks in advance.

about 75 percent warm up

any local instructors you can recco? from chicago’s western suburbs.I want someone that can tape him and help him.Thanks guys