Lifting and Running--- Areas of Focus

I have been stumped with this ever since I have started lifting. Since I am a pitcher, I need my legs and core as well as my shoulders. I do lots of leg, ab, and rotator cuff work. I also bench, do bicep curls, skullcrushers, and other upper-body weight drills. I always run on the treadmill, in addition to lifting.

But what should be my areas of focus as a pitcher? Should I lift in addition to conditioning my legs? Should I focus more on legs, abs, and shoulders and less of biceps/triceps? I have a routine, but it is evenly balanced. I am not trying to be a pro bodybuilder or a racer, but I would like to be able to be able to run as well as lift pretty good without embarssing myself in the weight room or on the field.

First off I would ditch the treadmill and run sprints, that is a lot better for pitchers and explosive athletes.

Work your “core” but I don’t just mean abs when I say core. I consider your core from your knees to your shoulders; put a lot of emphasis on your legs and back.

And make sure you do at least 2 back lifts for every chest lift you do, a strong back is key when it comes to preventing injury.

Also make sure you are stretching a lot so you don’t lose any flexibility. A couple of seasons ago I stopped focusing on stretching and I ended up hurting my hip and missing a month of the season and then not playing anywhere near my best for the rest of that season.

Legs and Core are always the most important but as far as upper body goes you should be able to pull just as much as you can push, i.e you should be able to do the same weight and reps bench pressing and doing a bent over row. This is due to the fact that as a pitcher you can only throw as fast as your able to decelerate your arm. The back muscles do most of the deceleration of the arm so thats what you need to focus on. I like lots of bent rows, pull ups, chainsaws, and reverse flys. Don’t get too tight and don’t ever press heavy weight above your head.

Yea, I generally focus on core, back, legs and I do bench because that is core too. I like to do general lifting all over because it is just mainting fitness.

[quote=“ZW#17”]First off I would ditch the treadmill and run sprints, that is a lot better for pitchers and explosive athletes.

Work your “core” but I don’t just mean abs when I say core. I consider your core from your knees to your shoulders; put a lot of emphasis on your legs and back.

And make sure you do at least 2 back lifts for every chest lift you do, a strong back is key when it comes to preventing injury.

Also make sure you are stretching a lot so you don’t lose any flexibility. A couple of seasons ago I stopped focusing on stretching and I ended up hurting my hip and missing a month of the season and then not playing anywhere near my best for the rest of that season.[/quote]

Yeah you’ve never been behind the plate since that either have you?

No, I kind of miss it because you can have an influence on a game when you are behind the plate but I don’t miss pitching then catching 2-3 games in a tournament.