LHP external rotation video analysis

So I keep studying and trying to figure out how I can get my external rotation to kick in ALOT more. What I think may be the problem is I’m not planting hard enough and keeping my top half seperated enough at foot strike to create that rotation and sustain that force moving forward? I’m gonna head up to a JUCO college practice this weekend and try get one of the coaches to see in person. It’s kinda frustrating because I was clocked in the low 80s and I know I have the strength if I can get these mechanics settled. Patience I know… but if you have any advice thank you very much! =)

Do you always use a slidestep?

Not really I think I’ve been trying to separate my hips and shoulders so much to get the external rotation going. Basically I’ve been doing that standing drill for external and trying to get that same “thrust whip” action with my arm off the mound.

Limited external rotation could be caused simply by limited flexibility in the shoulder. But I’ll throw out another theory…

Early shoulder rotation reduces the time that the throwing arm has to do its thing which could cause the throwing arm to “skip” going into full external rotation in order to “keep up”. So why do I bring up early shoulder rotation? Because your “equal & opposite” isn’t equal and opposite. You extend your throwing arm back until it’s almost straight but you keep your glove arm bent. And a short front side is usually an early front side which usually results in early shoulder rotation. I’d really like to see what happens with a better “equal & opposite”. Extending the glove arm further out front will take more time which buys more time for the throwing arm. Also, since you extend your throwing arm behind you (i.e. towards SS), you should initially extend your glove arm a little in front of you (maybe behind the LH batters box) before stabilizing it in front of you.

Ok gonna try that my next pen, thanks Roger. For my glove arm should I make it as straight as my throwing arm? I can do that, I just have always kept it bent probably since it seems easier to tuck away if that makes sense.

If the cause is mechanical the remapping of the movement pattern, equal opposite, driving the elbow as opposed to pushing the ball ect will take some time and work. If it is cause by a physical limitation that is a different thing.
I would start by doing some serious soft tissue work on the should and pec. Lacrosse ball. If it is tight it will not be comfortable but thats good.
Even if this does not immediately cause an improvement in layback it is good to do.
With frequent throwing most guys gain more external rotation and lose internal rotation. It is unusual to see someone with very limited external rotation who has been throwing a lot.

Yes, make your glove arm as straight as your throwing arm. “Equal & opposite” boils down to two things: equal bends at the elbows and parallel upper arms. And it lasts from hand break to front foot plant.

You have to get your throwing arm in the 90-degree angle (forearm pointed straight up) prior to starting your forward rotation. The rotation serves to spin your elbow as your weighted hand falls behind; this action is most effectively accomplished by achieving that 90-degree angle between your upper arm and forearm (again, with the forearm pointed straight up) prior to starting your rotation.

In your video, your arm starts out completely stretched, and you don’t achieve the 90-degree angle until a lot of your rotation is already completed / spent. This negates the potential for the rotation to load your arm (bend it backwards), and that places a limit on your velocity.

Also make sure that you really coil your shoulders in the wind-up; this will give you more margin for error.

I just improved my kid’s technique. You can see some of what I’m talking about in this video (even through it’s not slowed down). I tried to get him to flick his forearm behind him as his shoulders become fully loaded to ensure that the arm is in the optional position to be bent back as he begins his forward rotation.

In my very humble opinion, starting with your arm outstretched is hurting you. That arm position contributes nothing to the desired movement, and it only serves to distract and prevent you from achieving the timely and ideal arm position. You’d be best served to keep your arm close to the 90-degree angle from when you break to when you are set to deliver.

There are guys that can start with an outstretched arm and still deliver with good velocity, but their sequencing and timing is good, and yours is not.

I think Roger and Diddy are on the right track. You may have a flexibility problem, or you may just be too tense in the shoulder or gripping the ball too tightly. I find that the looser I grip the ball, the more whip I can generate. The looser I am through the shoulder and back, the faster I can get my arm to travel. By flexing your muscles and gripping the ball hard or locking your angles, you are totally eliminating any chance for external rotation.

Some people who throw the ball hard and grip the ball too tightly can have some inner elbow pain or can also feel some nerve tingling through the arm after release when muscling up on a fast ball. Of course this isn’t a sure thing, but it always helps pitchers when they see just how loosely they can grip the ball. Often it’s a lot softer than they ever thought they could get away with.