Lengthening stride to gain velocity?

i posted some pics a lil bit ago and people said i needed to lengthen stride for more velocity(hopefully ill have vid up soon when i can get a tv tuner card) i was wondering how this would increase velocity. wouldnt i have more balance with the stretch i have now? isnt it all about balance? im thinking maybe because im just comin off acl that i cant push off hard enough yet to gain that extra distance but would like different thoughts of why this would increase velocity… heres a pic of me yesterday

Lengthening the stride doesn’t itself increase velocity because there are inappropriate ways of lengthening the stride (e.g. lunging or reaching with the front foot). Lengthening the stride by generating more momentum creates more energy to put into the ball. But transferring that energy up through the body and into the ball requires good mechanics and timing and that requires proper strength and flexibility.

Lengthening the stride is not a cause of velocity. It as an effect of other things, notably a good amount of momentum as well as strength and flexibility in the hip and groin region.

Lengthening a stride can also make it seem to the batter that the ball is coming faster. Imagine that you’re pitching only 50% of your body length. Letting the ball go this far back will allow the batter to gain a few more milliseconds to see the ball as it’s coming in and give them just enough time to decide whether or not to swing. However, if you pitch with your stride 80% of your body’s height as is suggested by most major league pitchers, you will be letting the ball go a little closer to the plate which gives that batter a few less milliseconds to decide whether or not to swing the ball. And in the batter’s eyes, it will appear that the ball is coming a lot faster than it really is. This is how, with proper placement, you can work effectively with your fastball without 85+ mph.

95 mph. fastball + 50% stride = around 1.8-2.0 seconds to reach the plate
95 mph. fastball + 80% stride = 1.3 - 1.5 seconds to reach the plate

[quote=“Leonheart21”]

95 mph. fastball + 80% stride = 1.3 - 1.5 seconds to reach the plate[/quote]

A 95 mph fastball takes 0.434 seconds to travel 60’6", amigo. However, your point is well taken that a release point closer to the plate will reduce the time the batter has to see and react to the ball. I think that is what gives Randy Johnson such an advantage. One of the disadvantages of a long stride is that for shorter people it brings the plane of the pitch down, i.e., flattens it out. Downward movement is a very effective component to a good fastball. Tall folks get it naturally, but if you’re under 6 foot, you have to stay tall to get it, and for some that means a shorter stride.

Hose

Hose

thankyou for the input…i figured it out, ive been just falling to plate to compensate for knee injury rather than flexing knee and keeping weight back on it while i fall. strides a lil longer now but gata wait till sunday to know for sure hopefully i can get a vid up if i get some money for video card by then…thanks again

[quote=“hoseman18”][quote=“Leonheart21”]

95 mph. fastball + 80% stride = 1.3 - 1.5 seconds to reach the plate[/quote]

A 95 mph fastball takes 0.434 seconds to travel 60’6", amigo. However, your point is well taken that a release point closer to the plate will reduce the time the batter has to see and react to the ball. I think that is what gives Randy Johnson such an advantage. One of the disadvantages of a long stride is that for shorter people it brings the plane of the pitch down, i.e., flattens it out. Downward movement is a very effective component to a good fastball. Tall folks get it naturally, but if you’re under 6 foot, you have to stay tall to get it, and for some that means a shorter stride.

Hose

Hose[/quote]

I see what you mean I should have taken into consideration the height of the pitcher as well. And I am also mistaken in the time that it took the fastball to reach the plate. I was thinking of when coach had asked our pitchers to get the ball to the plate in less than 1.3 seconds for the catcher to have a good chance to nailing the runner at second while the pitcher was in the stretch. Thanks for elaborating.