Length of Stride

There is much written re: the relationship of maximizing lead leg stride and velocity , curious as to what you folks consider an optimum stride length to be … ie., x% of pitchers height ? thanks .

I am a big believer in shorter strides (e.g. 70% of height versus 80-90%).

There are two reasons I believe this.

First, a longer stride will tend to lower the release point and flatten the plane of the pitch which, on average, will make it easier to hit. Second, a longer stride will tend to limit the ability of the hips to rotate. Since the rotation of the hips, torso, and shoulder are the primary source of power, this can negatively effect velocity.

Im 6’5-6’6 and I have a short stride, I like this a lot better because it enables me to stay on top of the baseball since I throw almost straight over the top.

I had a longer stride and my pitching coach here shortened me up. I think over-striding can cause you to shrink yourself, break down your back leg, and thus your really not getting all the “torque” you can get from your lower body and thus you start throwing all arm.

This is just my opinoin :o any others out there?

Agree with both of your comments , sometimes a little sanity check is required . I hear some guys out there teaching these huge strides, and all I know is that for myself , there’s no way I could achieve the turn and tranfer of weight / balance onto the front side with an 85% stride.

I often wonder if pros succeed in spite of themselves…

They may also succeed because they have freakishly good levels of balance and/or flexibility (and ala Rick Ankiel often come crashing back to the ground as soon as they encounter any significant adversity).

The problem is that most people don’t, so I try to play the percentages and teach what works for ordinary people.

Optimum stride length varies with the type of pitcher. Pitchers who are trying to throw downhill and breaking ball pitchers will generally have shorter strides relative to their height.

Power pitchers who are not that tall and work high in the zone will usually have longer strides relative to their height. (Tom Seaver, Roy Oswalt, etc.)

This is one of those case by case things where you have to watch a young pitcher and consider both what works best now and what is likely to be the best approach after they develop.