Leg press vs. squat

which is better for pitching becasue i know there jsut about the same but just wondering

Squats.

Unless your form sucks, you should definitely choose squats.

what about high rep vs high weight?

squats and leg presses are not basically the same

squats win hands down

squats work your quads, hams, glutes, hips, calves, strengthen the tendons in your knees, your back and everything else

just make sure you go to at least parallel.

What is parallel to what? o.O

till your thigh is parallel with your hip I think, I usually go down about 1 inch below though, you coudl draw a line on the wall that is like

/_

well that little picture is what parallel would be

squat down on your heels until your quad is parallel to the floor

You actually want to go a little further than paralell in order to drop the hips below the knee. This way you activate the hamstrings when you start going back up.

co-sign.

I hated squating my freshman year, but this year ive gotten really into it and i feel as though its helped my fastball.

I’m also a fan of single leg press

ya squats are definitely better than leg press. anything where you are drawing energy from the ground will be more beneficial because that is what you are doing in the pitcing motion. i would say the overall best exercise for pitching is the lunge though. that is essentially the position you pitch from and it works almost all the muscles in your legs. i know josh beckett is a big proponent of lunges

RHP what are you talking about?

I was being lazy to be honest, it takes 10 minutes for me to take the raw video file and convert it to .flv then to .wmv then I can put it in Windows Movie Maker and edit it out in about 3 minutes but I didn’t really think it mattered. Sorry if I offended you.

Be as professional as possible.

squats are better

I have a couple questions about squats…that might contradict a few things…perhaps with what kc86 said.
However, I do squats right now, I am about 175lbs.
I warm up doing 1 plate each side 10 times.
then 2 plates each side 10 times.
then 3 plates each side 10 times.
Then I do 3 plates + 35lbs each side = approx. 385lbs
I do 5 sets of 8 reps.
When I do this much weight, I only go to parallel. Right now, this is only to put on more muscle.
When I am in season, from where I am with weight, I will drop it 30 lbs.
and do 15 reps the first set, then 12, 10, 10, 15.

At that point, it is much easier to go below 90 because your back will be able to take the strain of going below 90.

My question is whether it makes much of a difference to go below 90. Because you can simply throw in deadlifts to work on the hamstrings.

Thanks,
Dan

[quote=“zippa_head”]I have a couple questions about squats…that might contradict a few things…perhaps with what kc86 said.
However, I do squats right now, I am about 175lbs.
I warm up doing 1 plate each side 10 times.
then 2 plates each side 10 times.
then 3 plates each side 10 times.
Then I do 3 plates + 35lbs each side = approx. 385lbs
I do 5 sets of 8 reps.
When I do this much weight, I only go to parallel. Right now, this is only to put on more muscle.
When I am in season, from where I am with weight, I will drop it 30 lbs.
and do 15 reps the first set, then 12, 10, 10, 15.

At that point, it is much easier to go below 90 because your back will be able to take the strain of going below 90.

My question is whether it makes much of a difference to go below 90. Because you can simply throw in deadlifts to work on the hamstrings.

Thanks,
Dan[/quote]
Half squats only work the muscle in half of it’s range of motion, so you are not getting the full eccentric and concentric portions of the lift, plus you dont activate the hamstrings. If you are only doing it that way to lift more weight, then it is actually counterproductive. More weight will not equal more velocity and power if the muscle is limited in its range of motion (ROM). You are also opening up a world of injury possibilities, most especially for your knees and hamstrings, because of the imbalance in the muscles.

Buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe if you are really interested in getting as strong as possible through heavy lifts. It really changed my understanding of lifting.