Leg Kick

You know how when people are in the delivery… sometimes your front leg crosses ur push off leg. well my coach wants me 2 completely not have that happen and says that i’ll get more power if i just go straight forward… what does every1 thankkkk

well obviously you will get more power to go back then forward rather than just go straight forward, your front leg should slightly cross over your push off leg, this sets up your hips to explode into your delivery. tell this to your coach to see if he understands

does your coach mean completely eliminate you leg kick and just drive forward?

my coach says that too, but because from the stretch its a balk.

yeah xander I know waht you mean… lke you dont want it to cross over really, you just want it to kind of go above it, if you bring it back at all… thanks i appreciate it

It’s only a balk if you throw to a base after doing that.

Sounds to me like your coach is using a cookie cutter approach. There’s no absolute here. Some pitchers lift their knee straight up to their front shoulder. Other pitchers lift their knee towards their back shoulder. Some pitchers flick their foot back towards 2B. You need to use what works best for you based on your comfort, flexibility and timing.

Some research suggests that high leg lifts help to generate more velocity. Take a look at most power pitchers, their leg lifts are high and most often parallel with the rubber.

Rotating slightly past the rubber is not a major issue, as long as the timing is good.

Lifting your leg from the stretch is a balk? I might have to review the rules. Plenty of people do that from what I’ve seen, though ideally it’s simpler not to take too much time from the stretch if there are men on base. If you take too long on that stretch delivery and the other coach sees that, no matter how slow the runner may be, he has a good chance of stealing on the pitcher since he couldn’t get the ball to the catcher fast enough.

i thin its if your raised leg crosses the back plane of the rubber then its a bal if you deliver but im not sure

[quote=“dbacks23”]Some research suggests that high leg lifts help to generate more velocity. Take a look at most power pitchers, their leg lifts are high and most often parallel with the rubber.

Rotating slightly past the rubber is not a major issue, as long as the timing is good.[/quote]

Absolutely. Its potential energy - force of gravity acting on a mass = momentum. Someone asked Nolan Ryan why he lifted his leg so high, he said because he throws harder. A pitcher should lift as high as he is capable without throwing his dynamic balance off. Because pitchers vary in flexibility and athleticism, this lift will be different for everyone. Amazing athlete (Nolan Ryan) = lift over your head. Average athlete = much lower.

Note: IMO, though, Nolan went too high and did in fact throw his dynamic balance off which is why he struggled with location at times.

[quote=“xanderh”]i thin its if your raised leg crosses the back plane of the rubber then its a bal if you deliver but im not sure[/quote]no that is not a balk lol

if your front leg crosses your back leg you have to go home. if you attempt to pick off its a balk. But there are other reasons not to do that in the windup.

As long as your timing and balance is good, stick to what you’ve already been doing. You probably won’t gain any power by going straight forward, but you shouldn’t lose any either. It may make you quicker to the plate, though.

If you decide to “go straight forward”, you can keep it simple like Matt Garza does in this clip. Both of these pitches were low 90’s fastballs.

My understanding of that particular action is that once your front leg crosses your back leg, you have to go to the plate or its a balk.

Hose

arite thanks for the help guys about hte balk, wasnt wat i was really hopin for with feedback but thanks haha… yeah xv i kinda do that cept i dont go as far bck as garza does