Lefty

jus wonderin, im using my friends account and i dont noe much about baseball and i was jus wonderin how valuable is a lefty in the bullpen or in the starting rotation and why??? thx

Depends on the level. A lefty in a younger league can be devastating because it’s so unusual and kids see so few left handed pitchers.

In higher levels people see it more often so it’s not as big a difference but it still give batters a different look and therefore makes them valuable, in fact scouts look at lefties with higher priority than righties in that a lefty can probably throw in the mid-upper 80s and get a look whereas a righty may have to throw high 80s-low 90s or more.

In the bullpen for major league and minor league levels it’s crucial to have at least one lefty. I don’t think it’s as big a deal as most people say but sometimes it’s true, I bat lefty and sometimes when I’m facing a good lefty I just can’t see the ball until it’s halfway home.

k thx fer the info

If you want to talk some baseball you can go into the chat, PM me and I’ll head in there.

I’m not real big on lefty vs. lefty or lefty vs. righty matchups as giving a team any special advantage, especially at the lower levels of the game. I just don’t think it matters in high school or in youth ball about the throwing side of the pitcher.

Basically, if you’ve got a guy that can throw strikes and challenge hitters by mixing his pitches – that’s the guy I want on the mound. I don’t care if he’s a LHP or a RHP. And I wouldn’t make a pitching change just because of the throwing side of a pitcher.

Steve—ordinarily, such would be the case. However, there have been—and are—a number of pitchers in the major leagues who are more effective against batters who hit from the same side of the plate, and managers will take this into consideration. So there really is no hard and fast rule about this. 8)

[quote=“Steven Ellis”]I’m not real big on lefty vs. lefty or lefty vs. righty matchups as giving a team any special advantage, especially at the lower levels of the game. I just don’t think it matters in high school or in youth ball about the throwing side of the pitcher.

Basically, if you’ve got a guy that can throw strikes and challenge hitters by mixing his pitches – that’s the guy I want on the mound. I don’t care if he’s a LHP or a RHP. And I wouldn’t make a pitching change just because of the throwing side of a pitcher.[/quote]

I agree, I would rather just keep the guy who’s pitching well out there, I see no point in pulling a guy who could give you another few outs that has gotten his batters out. But that’s how it works, managers do it so it has to have some sort of value.

I know it’s hard to say whether it’s true or not but from my own experience I have trouble with lefties and I bat lefty so idk if it’s just that I don’t see enough of them or if it’s that the same side thing really is true.

It’s hard for me to argue with a former pro though.

It does drive me nuts watching the Yankees sometimes though like when say Hughes just pitched 1.2 innings of relief without letting anyone on and K’ed 3. Then Girardi goes and shoves Coke or Marte in just to face a lefty and maybe they get them out but if they don’t suddenly someone like Bruney or Robertson get’s thrown in and you end up having three pitchers per inning. It’ makes no sense to make a pitching change because of that but I do think there’s some type of an advantage, not big enough to warrant a one batter appearance.

I totally agree. MLB is a different game entirely, and it’s justified in many cases, as the statisticians will tell you. Plus, the constant pitching changes helps to justify pro pitching coaches 6-figure salaries :slight_smile: