Lefty out of the pin. Help!

im a junior in highschool who hovers around 80 with solid controll with the fb and change peice with late life. decent curve when i get it down in the zone. ground ball type pitcher. i dont have the stuff to be a starter in college an my role is a setup/long releaver in high school an summer ball. when im on i can be out there all day. i really wanna play in college but im not sure how recruters look for a releaver type guy and i wanna know what i have to do to start getting noticed. your help will be highly appreciated.

Your post has been sitting there for a good couple of months, and no one has come up with a satisfactory answer—or any answer at all—so maybe I’ll give it a shot, try to answer a couple of your questions.
First, what makes you think that you don’t have the stuff to be a starting pitcher? Let’s see now—you mention a fast ball, a curve and a changeup, and those are three basic elements of repertoire. You may not be exceptionally fast, but a lot of great starting pitchers were—and are—not fireballers who could crack 100 MPH. So that makes you a finesse pitcher, one who is capable of outthinking and outsmarting the batters. You have good control and command of the pitches you do throw, and I believe that you could add an extra pitch such as a sinker, or a knuckle-curve, or a slider, which would increase your effectiveness on the mound.
You say you’re a ground-ball pitcher. That means you probably pitch to contact—my old pitching coach used to say, “Get the ball over the plate and make them hit it. Make them go after YOUR pitch, what you WANT them to hit.” And being a ground-ball pitcher you could get those double plays with no trouble at all.
So I believe that you’re doing yourself a disservice by selling yourself short, by thinking that you couldn’t possibly be a starting pitcher. In fact, you probably would do better as a starter, because one thing a relief pitcher needs is that speed which you seem not to have. The first thing you should do is sit down and rethink your situation, perhaps with a good pitching coach with professional experience. Then go for it; decide which college or university you would like to attend, and find out what kind of baseball program they have. Talk to the coaches and see what they’re looking for, and ask if they will let you try out. Show them what you’ve got. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

Oh yeah, I forgot to add: you’re a southpaw, and that can be a tremendous advantage. At any level of play, there aren’t a lot of good lefthanded pitchers around. So you just might have that additional edge. 8)