Lefties...why are we so special?

being a left myself, i always get some sort of attention due to being a lefty, but i’ve never really known why we are so special. could throwing with the opposite arm be that special? some say lefties have a good break on their pitches, but i don’t see how throwing with the opposite arms gives a break to the ball. anyone care to explain?

Since lefties make up less than 15% of pitchers, seeing the angles that lefties throw at just aren’t seen as often as righty pitchers so it’s more what we see the most of and are most accustom to. If you saw lefties every game like righties I don’t think the advantages would be as great.

Well said bu,

Its all about supply and demand, every team wants an edge and getting a lefty who can bring it or has good off speed will always be in demand, but the supply is always shorter then the demand.

[quote=“Wales Diesel”]Well said bu,

Its all about supply and demand, every team wants an edge and getting a lefty who can bring it or has good off speed will always be in demand, but the supply is always shorter then the demand.[/quote]

i can see the reasoning for this, me and 2 other freshmen lefties are the only left handers to come through my high school’s program, and other high schools don’t even have lefties from the teams we have played.

My 15 year old Freshman is a lefty just finished JV and was called up to varsity as a pitcher…he pitched a 1 hitter and a 2 hitter this year on JV but did lose 1 game as a reliever but he did not give up a earned run…Errors…its JV after all…He also came in as relief in a game faced 6 batters in 2 innings struck out all 6 on 3 straight pitches each…I am hoping he gets a shot at some point on Varsity but if not coach already said he will be on Varsity next year…every righty on the team varsity and JV throws harder but none of their balls move like my sons…his fastball, about 73mph as clocked in the fall, at about 8 foot from the plate will shoot away and down from a righty hitter…and the bottom just falls out of his changeup…only issue with changeup not a huge difference in velocity from the fastball we are working on it though…He also has a decent curve and the coach does get fixated on it sometimes

My point whatever makes them special I am happy because of it

lefties just naturally have better movement, run faster, throw harder, field better, work harder and are all around better athletes, in addition to being better looking than righties. Certain studies have also shown an increase in female libido when watching lefties shove.
:wink: