Lefthanders pick-off moves

I’m inquiring on the process of a lefthander’s pick-off move to first base. Besides varying time between pitches and stepping off is there some variations lefthanders use to being succesful in holding runners on. And what are some of the mistakes in holding runners that a lefthanded pitcher should understand?

Most pick-offs are designed to keep a runner close, to aggravate him, to prompt a strategy change and of course to bang him out…Hesitation is a great ploy. A back step with a realistic fake throw causes head first slides and aggravation. I believe a major problem would be to pitch or throw over while also thinking about the other option. If the thought process is not 100% on one or the other one of them will add to your pressure. The batter mightl do the most damage.

I played legion ball with a lefty who had one of the best pickoff moves ever. What made his move so effective was that he had three different moves. He had a very poor move that he’d show people so everyone knew it wasn’t his real move and then he had a mediocre move he’d use next. At that point the runner would figure it was his good move and would move further off. Then he’d use his good move and pick them.

His move was so good that I heard that at one point he was pulled back up to the Oakland A’s just to teach his move to Vida Blue. Last I heard he was the roving pitching coordinator for the Phillies.

[quote=“CADad”]I played legion ball with a lefty who had one of the best pickoff moves ever. What made his move so effective was that he had three different moves. He had a very poor move that he’d show people so everyone knew it wasn’t his real move and then he had a mediocre move he’d use next. At that point the runner would figure it was his good move and would move further off. Then he’d use his good move and pick them.

His move was so good that I heard that at one point he was pulled back up to the Oakland A’s just to teach his move to Vida Blue. Last I heard he was the roving pitching coordinator for the Phillies.[/quote]

can you go further on the subject like what was so good about his best move?

I don’t think it was that much better than other lefty’s moves. It was the fact that he showed them poorer moves first to fool them into thinking they were seeing his best move.

If someone at the college level or high school level has some video of a lefthander with some good moves I would like to view it. I do have the understanding that the head movement - down usually is going home up going to first, and arm movement - back going to first, up going home. Does anyone have more to add to this?