Learning to pitch..the first time

So, I’ve been playing baseball for years now, and really haven’t pitched in years. I stopped pitching when I transitioned from the smaller Little League fields to the big, full-sized fields. So, with this, I never really learned to pitch at all, nor properly. I could never really throw much even at the smaller levels, only a 2-seamer, a 4-seamer, and a circle change. Nothing impressive.

Basically, I’m wondering (other than a pitching coach) how the best way would be to go about this? I know there are different styles, such as the generic, over-the-top and submarine…are there others? I’m still in HS right now and I’d love to pitch if 1) I’m good at it and 2) if I try for a summer team or something. How would you go about approaching all this? Starting to pitch, really, and then throwing different pitches? What styles work best…etc?

If you’re wondering, I currently play 2B and CF.

Wow. You’re kind of starting from scratch. First thing is post some videos of your pitching mechanics and then I’m sure some constructive advice will follow.

I had a teenage neighbor once, he was kind of eccentric but really intelligent. I looked out the window and he was screwing together a bunch of metal cylinders with fins on them and after awhile all the metal junk he was working with began to look like something that was suppose to fly.

I couldn’t help it anymore. I walked over to where he was toiling away and bluntly just ask, “What in God’s earth are you doing?” He replied with a determined face, “I am building a rocket to the moon.” What do you say? I said, “Good luck fella. Just don’t blow up the neighborhood.” That rocket never did get off the ground but danged if that kid didn’t grow up to be a scientist and work on the space shuttle.

That’s a true story…get my drift.

[quote=“Dino”]Wow. You’re kind of starting from scratch. First thing is post some videos of your pitching mechanics and then I’m sure some constructive advice will follow.

I had a teenage neighbor once, he was kind of eccentric but really intelligent. I looked out the window and he was screwing together a bunch of metal cylinders with fins on them and after awhile all the metal junk he was working with began to look like something that was suppose to fly.

I couldn’t help it anymore. I walked over to where he was toiling away and bluntly just ask, “What in God’s earth are you doing?” He replied with a determined face, “I am building a rocket to the moon.” What do you say? I said, “Good luck fella. Just don’t blow up the neighborhood.” That rocket never did get off the ground but danged if that kid didn’t grow up to be a scientist and work on the space shuttle.

That’s a true story…get my drift.[/quote]

I am starting from scratch. That’s why I need help. I don’t know where to start, that’s why I’m here. Also, I have like…no pitching mechanics.

Like Dino said get some footage up of you on a mound, that’ll give you more feedback as you start and progress.

Start reading anything you can get your hands on about Pitching. Educate yourself about it, watch clips of different pitcher’s, scrounge the net and read all aspects both the good and the bad, you’ll be able to figure out what is the good and what is the bad.

Start off with what feels “natural” to you and go from there.

This site is a great resource use it, search different topics read everything you can.

Most importantly come up with a plan and goals and commit to it 110%.

It’s a long and windy road ahead of you with peaks and valley’s. The key is not to get too high and not to get too low. It’s a long process that you have to be committed to in order to see results.

Afzoomie,

re: “Also, I have like…no pitching mechanics”…sure you do, buddy. Your mechanics may, or may not, be the best you can do…but, you’ve got 'em.

You said you play a couple of positions in HS, you must already have throwing skills that you use a lot when you are playing INF or OF.

Rather than waste too much time dithering on an internet forum about whether you can pitch or not, you should maybe hook up with some of your HS buddies on your current team and just start practicing at being a pitcher…your school has a bullpen mound, right? You can practice pitching on flat ground, too. The idea is, you help them with whatever baseball skills they want to work on, and they help you learn to be a pitcher.

When you’re not playing in a game, carefully watch the mechanics of pitchers that you think are pretty good…like Yogi Berra said, “You can see a lot just by observing”.

A few weeks ago I learned something very interesting about the “Friday night starter” for U of San Francisco (Kyle Zimmer). Google his name if you want to see just how good the baseball world thinks this kid is. Odds are, he goes high in the 1st round of the draft this summer…you heard it here first…well, it turns out that KZ came to the USF Dons as a 3rd baseman, he had barely pitched at all before college. That 3rd-to-1st throw is no joke, and apparently it can be pretty good training for a pitcher-in-the-making.

[quote=“laflippin”]Afzoomie,

re: “Also, I have like…no pitching mechanics”…sure you do, buddy. Your mechanics may, or may not, be the best you can do…but, you’ve got 'em.

You said you play a couple of positions in HS, you must already have throwing skills that you use a lot when you are playing INF or OF.

Rather than waste too much time dithering on an internet forum about whether you can pitch or not, you should maybe hook up with some of your HS buddies on your current team and just start practicing at being a pitcher…your school has a bullpen mound, right? You can practice pitching on flat ground, too. The idea is, you help them with whatever baseball skills they want to work on, and they help you learn to be a pitcher.

When you’re not playing in a game, carefully watch the mechanics of pitchers that you think are pretty good…like Yogi Berra said, “You can see a lot just by observing”.

A few weeks ago I learned something very interesting about the “Friday night starter” for U of San Francisco (Kyle Zimmer). Google his name if you want to see just how good the baseball world thinks this kid is. Odds are, he goes high in the 1st round of the draft this summer…you heard it here first…well, it turns out that KZ came to the USF Dons as a 3rd baseman, he had barely pitched at all before college. That 3rd-to-1st throw is no joke, and apparently it can be pretty good training for a pitcher-in-the-making.[/quote]

I guess you’re right, I have some form of pitching skills. I don’t know where to start though. I’m really into Cody Eppely and Clay Rapada of the Yankees who pitch submarine style, because I like the movement on the ball. It always appealed to me because it was different. I also like Houston Street and Mariano Rivera, but I have no clue where to start with emulating them and pitching. I also don’t throw on a straight line. There’s some arc to it so it’s not going to be perfect if I post a video. My technique would be terrible, anyway. I haven’t thrown off a mound in at least 2+ years and now it’s a regular-sized field and all that.