Leading with hip early during leg lift

I think I may be doing something wrong with my drive to the plate. My Dad videotaped me (sorry but can’t figure out how to load from a DVD-R) and it looks like I tend to start moving to the plate while lifting my leg. My stride length is around 100% of height (6’3") and i get drag from my post leg before my plant foot lands.
Can i get more momentum by starting my drive to the plate after I reach the peak of my leg lift?
By falling or driving to the plate before my stride leg starts down and out, am i causing my separation of trunk and torso/shoulder action to be rushed and causing me to rush the arm action? Hope I am making sense. Thanks!
I am a leftie, i know it doesn’t matter but just thought i’d let you know.

Moving toward the plate before peak leg lift is fine. Roy Oswalt does that. In my opinion, it is preferable. Get moving as early as possible. The leg lift is just to delay landing for those who do it this way.

Dragging your post leg before the stride leg lands is fine as well. Tim Lincecum does this. It just means you are probably developing sufficient momentum toward the plate and getting weight off the backside early. This allows your post leg foot to turn over early. This allows full(er) hip rotation.

It doesn’t sound like you have any flaw.

[quote=“xv84”]Moving toward the plate before peak leg lift is fine. Roy Oswalt does that. In my opinion, it is preferable. Get moving as early as possible. The leg lift is just to delay landing for those who do it this way.

Dragging your post leg before the stride leg lands is fine as well. Tim Lincecum does this. It just means you are probably developing sufficient momentum toward the plate and getting weight off the backside early. This allows your post leg foot to turn over early. This allows full(er) hip rotation.

It doesn’t sound like you have any flaw.[/quote]

xv84, in order to get the drag of the post leg befor the stride leg lands, do you have to have a really long stride? When doing this, does it increase velocity?

“Dragging your post leg before the stride leg lands” only will happen if you leap. Take a look at video of the pros. Any real “drag line” is after landing. If the stride leg hasn’t landed AND the back foot drags, at the same time, there’s no weight on either foot.

We looked the videos in slow motion and Slader’s post foot is a few inches away from the rubber. maybe not a true drag line and i do agree that most or all drag comes after foot plant. Slader doesn’t leap but has experimented with the technique over the winter, I assume you are comparing Lincecum’s motion to a leap.
As long as his forward movement isn’t too early. We did have an opinion from a minor league pitcher with the Cubs this past winter that lefties have a tendency to move towards the plate early. He said this was not something that was not encouraged.

Thanks for the replies! Slader’s Dad.

[quote=“Slader”]I assume you are comparing Lincecum’s motion to a leap.[/quote]Not really keying in on any one particular pitcher but I would call Lincecum’s motion a “leap”. Most pitchers rotate off the rubber, rolling over onto the instep then the toes. In this motion, the toe can move out by a couple of inches, depending on the motion. To truly have a drag “line” before landing, you would need to do what Lincecum does.

[quote=“Slader”]As long as his forward movement isn’t too early.[/quote]How early would be too early? It varies in the pros, of course, but most begin the sideways movement of the centre of gravity either at or just before peak knee lift, avoiding the infamous “balance point” and facilitating momentum generation.

[quote=“Slader”]We did have an opinion from a minor league pitcher with the Cubs this past winter that lefties have a tendency to move towards the plate early. He said this was not something that was not encouraged.[/quote]OK, I think I got that double negative there. So, they DO encourage it? If so, good.

Sorry about the double negative, i didn’t proof-read thoroughly, but it wasn’t encouraged so that will change your opinion about the advice we received.

We went through the balance point issue and follow your thoughts on that. I understand your position on the actual drag-line as well. Thanks!

Sounds like we are on the right path. Slader has good location on his pitches and he knows when he does something mechanically wrong. Last game he plunked a kid and after the game he told me what happened on that pitch. I saw it as well, i was glad he noticed it though.

He still only pitches out of the stretch and I know it’s not a bad thing. Would it be better for him to get comfortable with the wind-up just to at least have a different look for the batters? I think he rushes a little in the wind-up.

[quote=“Slader”]
By falling or driving to the plate before my stride leg starts down and out, am i causing my separation of trunk and torso/shoulder action to be rushed and causing me to rush the arm action?[/quote]
The implication of your question is that you’re assuming that to do otherwise would be the norm with no rushing. I’ll suggest that maybe the norm should be faster. For many pitchers their tempo is too slow and that injects extra time into their deliver - time for things to go wrong. Moving faster not only makes you quicker to the plate but it often tends to fix timing issues.

In general, I’m with XV and DM in that I don’t see any problems. The early momentum is a good thing.

Keep in mind…and I’m in concert with this august group, early mo is a positive…if the timing and mechs of the upper half are synced with it. In other words the mo is a no go if you can’t get your arm ready to throw by foot plant. :smiley: :shock: :wink: Nearly poetic huh Roger?

[quote=“jdfromfla”][quote]… early mo is a positive…if the timing and mechs of the upper half are synced with it.[/quote]Well put, jd!!

[quote=“jdfromfla”]In other words the mo is a no go if you can’t get your arm ready to throw by foot plant. Nearly poetic huh Roger?[/quote]Nearly?!? It’s downright profound!! :slight_smile:

I’ll add, though, that the body will adjust, with practice.

Brings a tear to my eye just reading that. :roll:

:puking:
All I need is an opportunity to be sensative and I’m you buddy! :nod:

Thanks for all the comments. I’ll see about posting a clip soon.