Leading the throw with the elbow

I don’t know how to explain it perfectly, but here I go:

Should you lead your arm motion with your elbow? Because I’m experiencing muuuch better control and velocity by doing this, and I think I’m not feeling pain like I was before doing it.

I have seen lots of pictures of Major League Pitchers and it seems like every pitcher do it.

Here are a couple of pics of Glavine (whom I think has great mechanics):

See what I mean? What I’m trying to say is to have the elbow in front of the forearm on your arm motion.

I’m gonna put some more photos of other pitchers doing this:

Hudson: ht
tp://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/57535666.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=E97B7DFB884F0A1DF0D064FCF23DB220

Clemens:

Mussina:
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/53017934.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939847EC77F5F8D1CEBC95011B145897A5

Mulder:
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/53311190.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939847EC77F5F8D1CEEDAE258182D5966C

Please, anyone? Mr. Ellis? Chris?

KreGg
That is what you want to happen with one clarification. The elbow comes WITH the shoulder turn. This will maintain alignment of the upper arm bone (humerus) in the shoulder socket (glenoid) as it rotates backward (external rotation) and then forward (internal rotation). If the humerus is not aligned properly in the glenoid, the tissues in the area can have undue stresses applied to them with all sorts of problems potentially occurring.

This is where your arm action in the windup is important. If the ball is ahead of the elbow on the way up and through the “high cocked” position, you will have a hard time getting to this point and thus will lose much velocity potential. The down side of this action is it is very stressful on the shoulder and elbow tissues. That’s just a part of pitching. Pitching’s a very risky activity.

I hope this helps.

Thanks dm59.

I noticed a much better velocity and better control. Although my arm was a little sore after the bullpen session, but nothing to be worried about.

What I was doing was when I got to the high-cocked position I was keeping the arm just like that when I was driving it foward to release the ball.

[quote=“KreGg”]I don’t know how to explain it perfectly, but here I go:

Should you lead your arm motion with your elbow? Because I’m experiencing muuuch better control and velocity by doing this, and I think I’m not feeling pain like I was before doing it.[/quote]

Yes.

However, this pretty much happens automatically. The force of turning your shoulders causes your forearm to bounce back horizontally.

Dr. Mike Marshall’s mechanics feature something that could be characterized as leading with the elbow (and throwing from a pretty vertical slot).

[quote=“KreGg”]I noticed a much better velocity and better control. Although my arm was a little sore after the bullpen session, but nothing to be worried about.

What I was doing was when I got to the high-cocked position I was keeping the arm just like that when I was driving it foward to release the ball.[/quote]

The only thing is that this pretty much happens automatically, so I’m not exactly sure what you are doing (differently).

Do you have a video of yourself throwing?

Do you have a video of your old motion?

Do you have a video of your old motion?[/quote]

No :frowning:
I will try and ask my coach to videotape myself pitching this week. I know I have many flaws on my mechanics and it’s hard to fix it without seeing it.

Thanks for the help.