Leadership

I feel like my team is lacking leadership from the captains and the team seems to be splitting up which obviously is not good. As a junior and the ace of the staff I want to step it up and become a leader.

My question is, what do you do to lead the team?

finish first in sprints, encourage teammates during the game, help bring down the equipment are some

Countless books have been written on the subject. I have had both the pleasure and the burden of being placed in a leadership role. Like in everything, some are born to it, some learn it and some are downright terrible at it.

To sum it up in just one sentence I’d offer this: You must volunteer often, sacrifice your personal comfort for the good of the team, always perform with personal pride, be generous with your own fortunes and exceed all expectations whenever possible.

And remember, you don’t have to be called a leader to be one.

HBO released a series which is not only a fantastic flick but is jam packed with examples of leadership. “Band of Brothers” Check it out.

To sum up what Dino said, leaders lead by example.

A leader is somebody people look up to, turn to for advice and strive to be like.

If you try too hard to be a leader then people will not see you as one, we’ve had a few kids like that, they try so hard to lead that they are negative and come off as arrogant jerks. Like they want to be a leader for their own personal selves instead of for the team to follow.

I’ve never really tried to be a leader but I think I am becoming one. People ask me about how their swings look and I’m always the first to arrive and the last to leave, I don’t know why I just am, they talk with me about hitting a lot. I’m not sure but it seems to me that if you just set a good example for people to follow that people will naturally flock towards, you. Try to stay positive.

ya dude. Also whoever are the captains on the team. They should be the ones who are helping the coaches as well, meaning picking up the balls for the coaches, bringing the equipment over and so on.

Never let the coaches do this.

Also show respect for your team mates. Never be swearing during practice or saying inappropriate things.
Also some times saying nothing at all is better than having a whole speach for everyone.

Meaning if someone strikes out and you want to make them feel better. Don’t say anything. Give them time to cool off then talk to them.

Also being the leader on your team is going to be SUPER SUPER SUPER hard. Considering that you are the youngest on the team(JUNIOR).
TRUST ME ITS GOING TO BE HARD.

Seniors probaly won’t even conisder you a leader because of how old you are. But still do the things that everone else has commented and a leader leads by example as well

Teammate leadership, among players, is not an easy thing to cultivate on a baseball team. The reasons are due primarily with the nature of the game and its participants.

With respect to the game, baseball is made up of roster players with specific talents - but, with generic abilities. In the talent category, a position player comes by his/her skills through hard work, long hours, repeated drills over and over. Take someone off of third base and replace that player with a right fielder, and the right fielders can be very much out of his/her element. Any negative comments from others on that fielder’s performance is not leadership but ignorance based on a lack of position. In fact, any positive remarks intended to boost the same player’s morale after a failed play, is usually met with contemp followed by looks that aren’t very complimentary.

Now you’d think that a team environment would reinforce a leadership role by someone, anyone, with the a dynamic personality, not to mention a steady run of success by their own right.
But it doesn’t. Everyone is pretty much in their own space, concentrating on their own patch of field, what will and will not happen, and the emotional roller coaster prior to - during - and after every play. In fact, a silent mood from everyone coming off the field can be “mind your own business - and I’ll take care of mine”. We had a second baseman that muffed two plays in one inning and put us three runs under. He came into the dugout and some self-elected bright light decided to go over to him and tell him how important it was for him to make those plays. The man playing second base went over to the bench, picked up his glove, threw it in the face of his teammate and told him to take second, he’ll take his position. Our skipper thought that was brilliant! He looked over to the two and nodded… “do it.” What followed at second base was a joke, an embarrassment beyond words, humiliation on top of humiliation. Never happen again.

With respect to the other participants - coaches in particular, there are other considerations. The chain of command and most if not all of the decisions steering the club, usually comes from one person - the skipper. This leader, of and by himself, is lord and overseer all things - no exceptions. Staff members can assist, advise, and address topical matters relative to their specialty. Under no circumstances will they, or should they, ever override or conflict with the skipper of the club - regardless. It’s either his/her way or the highway, period. Hence, in may ways leadership is a matter of accepting certain protocols and customs, that are stand alone. Rarely, if ever, should there be a discussion on the matter. In fact, this posture can be so rigid in many organizations - including schools and summer clubs, that when a staff member takes over for a period of time do to whatever, it’s a very uncomfortable feeling, and takes some time to use to (the new role).

However, all that being said (above) there is not lack of leadership, if that’s what we want to call it, form coaches and teammates alike, for being very proactive with anyone on a club who lacks heart, hustle, or an unwillingness to win. But beyond that, leadership is not easily defined on a baseball club. It’s more or less the little things … here … and a little there.

Coach B.