Lead Leg Questions

I have a few questions about the role of the posting/ landing leg

1. At release of the baseball, where is it recomended that the chest be relative to stride leg. In line with the knee? in line with the foot? my chest is in line with or slightly behind the front knee at release.

2. what angle of flexion/extention of the knee joint is best at release? I see some hard throwers like verlander and lincecum have a fairly stright front leg while guys like seaver get pretty low at release.

3. Either way is “stiffening up” the front leg either before or after release necessicary for hip rotation? My front leg remains bent throughout the delivery for fear of tearing my hamstring if I fully extend at the knee.

My back leg leaves the ground before release and I believe this is related to what I described above.

Thanks

[quote]1) At release of the baseball, where is it recomended that the chest be relative to stride leg. In line with the knee? in line with the foot? my chest is in line with or slightly behind the front knee at release.
[/quote]

Keep your shoulders closed and you don’t have to worry about where your chest is.

if you watch lincecum and verlander’s stride foot they turn it so its pointed straight at home plate, lincecum even has it pointed at the left side of the plate (opened) but he doesn’t stride open. When you stride and get close to landing you want to turn your stride foot to the point where you feel the stretch in your inner thighs.

Keeping your back foot parellel to the rubber keeps your back hip closed, as your stride leg is going out and foot starts turning open with your weight back and back hip closed you will feel that stretch in your thighs n abs.

When you land you use that stretchy feeling to help turn your hips and explode. When keeping your weight back, keep it on the inside of your back leg.

[quote]3) Either way is “stiffening up” the front leg either before or after release necessicary for hip rotation? My front leg remains bent throughout the delivery for fear of tearing my hamstring if I fully extend at the knee.
[/quote]

You want to brace against the stride leg, if you lend too bent your leg will collapse and you’ll lose power. You don’t want to land too stiff cause you’ll damage your arm. If you keep your back hip closed as your stride and rotate your stride foot open into landing you’ll see how solid your stride leg becomes and that will help you along with the “stretchy” feeling to turn your hips.

To get a good stride while keeping your weight back sit your butt back a little as your foot is coming down from the knee lift. Just a little, enough to keep everything from stiffing up.