Lead Foot/Front Heel

I just want to throw out there in order to get some responses and feedback the following;

(Pitching) What are your thoughts on the front foot as far as how it should hit the ground?

Flat, soft, quite…2 o’clock…Noon ect and how do you feel about the pitchers front foot hitting the ground heel first…ball of foot and how do you think the landing of the foot dictates the position of the lead knee in relation to where it is up from the front foot…such as but not limited straight up above the front foot 90 degree angle or so, behind it more flexed not bent or any thing else.

I always find this is a very interesting topic to discuss and I am always looking for feedback on stuff anyway.

If there are any players out there feel free to chime in…I love getting player persepctives on things some times more then coaches.

Coach,

You’re going to get a lot of views, each personal to who does what.

On the other hand…
I have found that in amateur parks and fields, where the mound is in such poor condition, even sandy and with no surface value, landing with the stride foot, as your question is stated, is really not all that important. Trying to avoid the stride foot from slip’g out from under a pitcher just when he/she needs it the most, OR, dumping the stride foot in a large hole, kind of subordinates the question all together.

In any event, good quesition though and worth a reply from all that have deliberately addressed the issue.

Coach B.

I was about to write something very similar to what Coach B said…

Look at video of lots of elite pitchers and just focus on their stride foot as it lands…you’ll see heel landings, flat-foot landings, and toe-landings.

As far as the angle of the foot, you’ll see landings with the foot open, closed, and directly pointed at home plate.

It’s not something that I would mess with under most circumstances. Even if a pitcher were landing with poor balance I think I’d first look for problems in the delivery upstream of the landing.

Ignoring outside factors such as mound conditions…

I use “how the pitcher lands” as an indicator of other things but not as any kind of goal itself.

• A pitcher landing on the heel may have a problem that prevents him from getting sufficiently out over the front foot.

• Angle of the front foot at foot plant could be either an indicator of problems earlier in the delivery or a cause of problems later in the delivery.

• Position of the front knee relative to the front foot can be an indicator of problems earlier in the delivery. A knee that is behind the front foot could indicate the same thing as landing on the heel. A knee left or right of the front foot could indicate the direction the center of mass is moving which could be offline from the target if there is a posture/balance issue or it could be towards the target if stride direction is not at the target.

I agree with what is being said on this forum, for me personally I used to land with my whole foot or slightly on my toe but I found I had to fight myself to get over my front foot, I started landing on my heel and FOR ME it helped me continue my momentum towards home plate and get good extension.

But that was just for me.

I have always landed on my heal, you just don’t want to land with a thump, land soft and controlled

my high school coach always taught us to lead with our heel and once you land make sure your foot is flat on the ground before bringing your shoulder forward and ignitiating the throw.

I’ve always had an issue with my heels. I’m flat footed, and very prone to sitting on my heels in everything. I run on my heels, walk on my heels, jump with my heels. When I stride while hitting, I only used to land on my heel, not the entire foot. Same with pitching. I would land on my heel and fly open. Being smooth and controlled with setting your foot down as a whole foot and not just one part is important to control.